Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A word meaning question......

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:23 PM
  • 8 Replies

Surfing around the whole cafemom site, I encountered the pregnancy loss support group--causing a flashback to a painful time early in my marriage.

Here, at the cafe is a better place to ask my question:

I am American but I spent the latter part of my life in U.K.  As Churchill said, "Two nations divided by a common language...."  Different word meanings trip me up from time to time.

I married a Hindu and had a three-month honeymoon from heck in India meeting extended family whom neither hubbie nor I will ever see again.  Our immune systems couldn't handle tho local microbes so we were constantly ill.  Certain antibiotics interfere with contraception so I became pregnant without being aware of the possibility.  Suffering an abortion was my first awareness.

"Suffered an abortion" were the words used in India and in the U.K.

"Suffered an abortion" were the words I used on a Christian forum.  I was asked whether I had repented.  I explained that I did not ask for the abortion, that it simply happened.  There were those who cited Bible verses.  There were others who said that if I meant miscarriage I should have said so.

I tried to explain that when one loses an embryo, its an abortion.  When it's a fetus, it's a miscarriage. I wrote that perhaps I should have written "suffered a spontaneous abortion"  But  my post was flooded with replies so the administrators banned me.  My thread went on and on without me--the condemnation of me, the administrators allowed to stand.

My feelings were tender at the time.  I now accept that there was over-reaction on this forum.

Abortion is a highly emotional issue in America.  I forgive a community that was hurtful to me.

QUESTION: What is American usage?  Does the word "abortion" always mean "elective abortion"?

PLEASE: I prefer there be no discussion on the rightness or wrongness of choosing to terminate a pregnancy.

God bless,

by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 10, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I only think of abortion as elective abortion.

I was working on a farm and when one of the sheep would have a miscarriage the farmer would call it an abortion. He meant spontaneous abortion, but hearing him call it that just felt wrong to me.

NDADanceMom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 8:35 PM
It makes me angry when someone calls my tubal pregnancy an abortion. As a catholic its just a very ugly word that i don't feel applies.
mouthymandy
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Thank you for your replies.

I comprehend your twinge on the sheep farm.  The religious forum did succeed in making feel sheepish LOL

I offer my condolances for the loss of your baby.  Especially painful was the perception of the implication that this was your choice--that others assumed I had chosen to terminate my pregnancy was painful--different and the same--a lack of recognition that this was pain imposed by life and not by choice of the patient.

As an aside, refrain from calling a pouch on a belt as a "fanny pack" while in the UK.  Fanny is a vulgar term for vagina--as offensive as the word rhyming with "punt".   Use the term "bum bag" while over there.  :)

God bless,

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 11, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Abortion is the true medical term for miscarriage.
mouthymandy
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:59 PM

That it is.  It is used in the UK by my doctor and I was fine with that.

But look at the pain the wrong word causes in another culture.

Thanx.

God bless.

Quoting Anonymous:

Abortion is the true medical term for miscarriage.

Momofmenagerie
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:09 PM
When I am ask the unpleasant question " how many times have you been pregnant ? (3)

How many births? ( 2)

Was the third an abortion or a miscarriage?
I figure an abortion is a termination and a miscarriage is a spontaneous abortion by nature based on the wording of of the question.
mouthymandy
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Ouch!

I am guessing that is a question coming from a nurse taking your history in a medical setting.

Not all medical practitioners have a good bedside manner.  

Still, your reply answers my question on word usage.

I am sorry you have to go through that again and again.

God bless,

AliKatAK47
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:35 PM
I always assume people are talking about elective abortions when they say abortion. But I am aware that abortion is simply the expulsion of a fetrus
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)