Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

What is the best answer?

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:59 AM
  • 3 Replies

I have an interview for a job I would love to get.  I seem to choke at some of the questions asked during the interviews.  How do you answer  "why should we hire you over all the other applicants?" 

(I've posted this question in another group as well hoping to get lots of answers, thank you.)

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mouthymandy
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I don't know what to answer a question that is basically a bullying question.

I'd like to answer, "Not having interviewed the other applicants I am not in a position to say which one you should hire.  Isn't that your job to make the selection?"  Not great to confront head-on when seeking a job.

Perhaps a milder version: "I know I am an excellent candidate.  If you have other excellent candidates, I don't suppose it matters much to your company which you select, but it sure does matter to me."  I think that might deflect a question that is essentially unanswerable.

Hope that helps.

Of course there is no being prepared for every question that might arise.  Perhaps fall back on a hard eyeball stare until it registers and the lightly go on, elaborating on a previous answer to a valid question.  I'm a student who never has had to interview for a paying job but I have had interviews.

Hope this helps.

God bless,

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:20 PM
If dh was home I would ask him. He interviews people all the time.
rachellaree20
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Say something like "I'm hard working and determined to prove to you that I'm the best candidate for the job."  I don't know, it sounds good without being too cocky IMO.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)