Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How did you quit?

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:02 PM
  • 20 Replies

How did you quit smoking cigarettes? I would love to know! I am not sure if it's just me or what. I keep trying and it just doesn't work. It's so much a part of my every day routine not to mention huge stress helper. Tried to quit once and gained almost 30lbs. I'll be really good and quit for about a week and then something will happen and life will blow up in my face and I will go back to smoking. The longest I ever quit was for 3 months when I was pregnant with my first DD. Then I broke up with her father because of huge issues and slowly went back to smoking again. I smoke about a pack a day and have been for 11 years. I know how bad it is for me and my family, I know what my lungs look like, I know that increases my chances of dying sooner but I just can't stop. I would really love to know how some of you have managed to quit and how long you haven't smoked for. 

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Never smoked but MIL quit after cutting way down for years. They got so expensive she quit cold turkey after cutting down to about 1/2 pack a day. She had smoked for 45 years. FIL had a heart attack and quit cold turkey. He was a 3 pack a day smoker. It killed him among other things but his lungs were shot. He smoked for 30+ years
rachellaree20
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I started smoking when I was 10 and quit cold turkey at 20 when I was pregnant with my dd.  I got sick before I knew I was pregnant and spent 4 days in the hospital where I couldn't smoke even though I really wanted to and once I was able to go home it was easy to not smoke because if I even smelled cigarette smoke I'd feel nauseated.  My dd is 7 weeks old and on October 1st it'll be one year without cigarettes.

ambertreas76
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:59 PM
I just (finally successfully longer than 3-5 days) quit a month ago. Cold turkey with the help of all natural cinnamon gum. I don't know what it is about that gum but it did (and keeps doing) wonders. I don't crave a cig anymore... I crave the cinnamon gum. I smoked for approx 15 yrs.
sweetie8206
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:19 PM

For the longest time I tried to quit, But one day I was at work and had 3 cigs. i told my co-workers after my last cig I would quit... They looked at me and laughed and said yeah right.. Well I have proven them wrong. I was ready to quit and I did it cold turkey... I told myself through the whole thing the whole reason for quitting was for my kids and myself I kept assuring myself I would save so much money and if I tried to buy anything to help then that wouldn't help cause I would be spending money. You will know when your ready.. I think it helped me cold turkey and I have been cig free for 4 months now and I feel great now!!!!!

LEY1307
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:43 PM
I took Chantix for 16 days. You are supposed to take it for 3 months but it made me paranoid. September 10 will be 5 years since I quit.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Cold turkey. Smoke free since 5 years and going strong

CorCrox
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:28 AM
I used the smoking cessation lozenges. I was on them for WAY longer than the 12 weeks, but it was totally worth it. I smoked up to two packs a day before I quit, and I love being a non smoker! Good luck, you can do it!
Marimaru
by Sarah Joy on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:40 AM
1 mom liked this

My husband quit cold turkey.  He said the important thing was to only quit the cigarettes, and not the habits around them.  So, go outside for a break for a few minutes, if you smoked outside, just chew mint gum (not smokers gum, just regular) instead of smoking, etc.

LADYxGHOST
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 4:58 AM

I helped a friend quit by getting him an e-cig. It really worked for him and he helped his brother quite with an e-cig as well.

dingysfamily
by Suzi on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I never smoked, but dh quit 28 1/2 years ago; the only thing that worked for him was to go cold turkey.  He just tossed his out and that was it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)