Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BAD MOM! You gave your baby WHAT?!

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:21 PM
  • 42 Replies

Ok let's a freak out over what I gave my baby. Are you ready? A BANANA! Yup that is correct everyone. I started my baby on solids at 4 months like his pedi told me to. He is a big boy and did so great with rice and oatmeal and fruit. So one day I gave him gerber bananas and my MIL freaked out and said why don't you give him fresh fruits? Ok good idea! So a few days of fresh fruit being mashed up by yours truly go great! I have the time and I don't mind. A friend of mine comes over and is appalled at what i am doing! She says why would you waste money on fresh fruits when you could just buy it in a jar!

Oh man I am getting attacked from all sides! Haha I am gonna continue with the fresh fruits, my baby seems to like them and I don't care what my friend says but I would like some opinions. Where do you ladies stand? Jar food or fresh food?

by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
celestegood
by Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:23 PM
He's a cutie!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2ArfarasMom
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Hmm I did a mixture of both. I did a lot of fresh fruits mixed in with some organic yogurt. Lots of parents will tell you different things though. Do what you feel is right for your ds. He's so cute btw

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:27 PM
2 moms liked this
Fresh. Baby food is nasty. I wouldn't start that young though, personally.
NDADanceMom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:27 PM
2 moms liked this
I didn't feed solids until my kids were a year. They can't digest cereal. Breast milk was enough. At a year they ate table food puréed or mashed. Never bought packaged baby food
jlmc
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Yea I was surprised when the pedi suggested it because I didn't start my daughter on anything until 6 months but he is so big and they really thought he would benefit from it, so far so good!

Quoting Anonymous:

MamaLioness2012
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:33 PM
2 moms liked this

If you;ve got the time, then go for it. Honestly, I think (for bananas anyway) it's actually a bit cheaper to go fresh. Here bananas are $0.51 a pound and for a little over a buck you could get a couple of bananas giving you LOTS of baby food for a munchkin his size (ADORABLE by the by!!!), whereas a tiny jar of baby food runs about a dollar each (sometimes you get lucky with gerber and find 2-packs)  and you don't get nearly as much as if you would have done it yourself. Other fruits that may not be the case, but if you've got the time and money, go for it! My son didn't stay on baby food very long because he's a moose and he had lots of teeth early. Now I fight to get meats and grains into him because all he wants to do is eat fruits and veggies. Made him scrambled eggs with green peppers, potatoes and cheese this morning and the little snot picked all the peppers out and ate them before he touched anything else. Tried to trick him into eating grains by making a peanut butter and banana sandwich...picked out all the banana slices and threw the peanut buttered bread at my leg and it slowly slid down my knee. THAT was enchanting...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 13, 2013 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Almost all pedis aren't nutritionists and are going off old guidelines that aren't recommended anymore.

Quoting jlmc:

Yea I was surprised when the pedi suggested it because I didn't start my daughter on anything until 6 months but he is so big and they really thought he would benefit from it, so far so good!

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 13, 2013 at 9:27 PM
Fresh food all the way.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 13, 2013 at 9:31 PM
Fresh is better. I didn't start till 6 months.
Nerys-Kianna
by Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 9:34 PM

He's a cutie.
Nothing against fresh. Started my lil guy on fresh fruits and veggies at 6 month, he loved it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)