Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ugh! hated this hospital UPDATE!!

Posted by   + Show Post
On Thursday night my 19 year old baby sister's water broke at 11pm we were super excited she rushed to the hospital, when she arrived she was told that her water had fecal matter in it and that her baby had deficated in the womb. She was very sick to her stomach and asked for meds they told her no.

She was 2 cm dilated like she had been for 2 Weeks so the Dr told all of us to go home we were not needed and to return in the morning that she needed rest. He hadnt even seen her yet.

We went home until 8 am when we returned she was 5 cm with an epidural and still in pain lots of pain she couldnt even talk. At around 11 am she developed fever 103.6 they gave her antibiotics still refused nausea meds.

At noon she was 7 cm screaming in pain cant even put a sentence together, it's burning not labor her catheter! Nurses say its normal and give her a shot of Demerol in the leg and finally give her nausea meds in her iv. At 1 they turn off her epidural completely.

at 3:00pm she is 9 cm and wanting to push they get the Dr Dr tells her baby doesnt want to drop into the birthcanal. He tells her ”you have to push him into the birthcanal then out”.

This was why my mom had an emergency c-sec with my older sister, my sister is terrified crying, telling Dr give me a c-sec. He says no I wont do that lets start pushing.

For 2 hrs she pushed throwing up with every push finally he dropped into her canal, she asked for an episiotomy for him to cut her he said ”no u dont know its better to tear naturally” so she tore top and bottom. Not having the epidural for 4 hrs she felt everything! at 520 pm he finally came out. Her son was 8lbs 14 Oz 20 in long and was on oxygen for awhile she didnt get to hol him until like midnight.

At the end of everything she is so swollen the nurses told her she was more swollen then anyone ever it wasnt normal. She cant walk normal cause she cant close her legs. Her legs are double the size and extremely painful, her back is so bad she cant sleep comfortably.

Please tell me did this hosp do everything right? I hated seeing her like this she was and is so miserable she is 5 feet btw. I love her like crazy and this all made me mad. My Dr said if I had showed up with fecal matter in my water it would have been an emergency c-sec. What do yall think? Ive had 3 kids by the way and only once my epidural didnt work it was in wrong they actually messed up something my right leg still goes numb.

Dr only saw her once when she delivered.

Sorry for mistakes phone is acting up.

Can a Dr refuse a pricedure when he works for you? (the c-sec and the episiotomy)

UPDATE!!!
My sister is still miserable (physically) but is doing very well with the baby. I never told my sister about malpractice or mistakes nothing I was waiting. My sister is currently not speaking to me, my mother either so my last update was 3 days ago. Thank you all so much for your replies I hope for no lasting effects for either mama or baby. I'm sure he is a sweetheart.
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 7:06 AM
Replies (11-17):
PITAmom1023
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:16 AM
I am etremely sorry for your loss. We are very greatful we were told to watch him very closely that he inhaled an extreme amount. They also told her she was more swollen then they had ever seen after a birth. I am not trying tosound selfish its the pain she was and still in is what upsets me. She is my best friend!

Quoting Anonymous:

When my water broke with my first DD there was fecal matter in it. They did not admit me & my daughter died that night in my womb. It was too painful to even consult an attorney, no amount of money would bring her back, Your sister was not treated right, but she has her child and that is what matters. I would call the director of the hospital and ask for a formal review fo this case.

kgsharber
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:41 AM

She should take pics. Sounds weird, but she may need them if other issues arise later on. I would also get a second opinion  from another doctor because inhaling the meconium requires the baby to be hospitalized for 3 days at my hospital.

Quoting PITAmom1023:

I am etremely sorry for your loss. We are very greatful we were told to watch him very closely that he inhaled an extreme amount. They also told her she was more swollen then they had ever seen after a birth. I am not trying tosound selfish its the pain she was and still in is what upsets me. She is my best friend!

Quoting Anonymous:

When my water broke with my first DD there was fecal matter in it. They did not admit me & my daughter died that night in my womb. It was too painful to even consult an attorney, no amount of money would bring her back, Your sister was not treated right, but she has her child and that is what matters. I would call the director of the hospital and ask for a formal review fo this case.

PITAmom1023
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:21 PM
He was hospitalized for 48 hrs on oxygen for 12 hrs before even letting anyone hold him. She is breast feeding so he didnt eat for 12 hrs either he right now 4 days later weighs 7 lbs 6 Oz very gassy and cries a lot while he is sleeping

Quoting kgsharber:

She should take pics. Sounds weird, but she may need them if other issues arise later on. I would also get a second opinion  from another doctor because inhaling the meconium requires the baby to be hospitalized for 3 days at my hospital.

Quoting PITAmom1023:

Quoting Anonymous:

jobseeker
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:17 PM
I am sorry that your sister had such a bad birth story, every baby's birth should be a joyful experience. I agree that there were probably mistakes in communication and maybe even some mistakes made. I wasn't there. The important thing is that She and her baby are healthy and safe and that there are no lasting affects of the experience. Now is the time to create that warm, loving and safe environment for her new family. If you were asking advice, and you are not, I would recommend keeping that conversation for another time and focusing on the joy of the new baby and helping your sister adjust to motherhood.
Quoting PITAmom1023:

Im talking abt baby dropping I was abt to wheeled into surgery cause m son wouldnt drop she was forced to push.

Her birthplan included an episiotomy Dr had said ok til the moment of. She was chosing and episiotomy based on ppl she spoke to and listened to their experience.

Quoting jobseeker:

I am not a nurse, but I worked in ob offices for many years in the business end.  Every Dr has his/her own policies and philosophies.  I have had many conversations regarding delivery room nightmares (in my job I have to justify charges to insurance companies).  Fecal matter does not equal c section unless other criteria are mt.  Many docs do not like episiotomies because they cause scarring that might cause problems with subsequent deliveries.  Almost every OB I have ever worked with would rather not do a C on a woman under 25 because it weakens the uterine wall and makes subsequent pregnancies dangerous.  your sister being so young was a red flag.  The c's I have seen on very young women were patients that were VERY small framed.   All in all it sounds like you did not see her regular doctor.  Was this a county hospital or was it her regular one.  

All in all it sounds like she had a pretty bad experience.  I wish her well, and take care of her.  

unspecified42
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Yes, a doctor can absolutely refuse to do a procedure. And they don't work for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jobseeker
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I am so sorry your sister had such a bad birth experience.  Every chilid's birth should be a joyful event.  If you have concerns of a legal matter, I suggest you talk to a malpractice attorney. It seems that there were errors in communication made.  If those errors resulted in true and lasting damages you want expert opinions.

I think the important thing right now is to care for the new mother and baby, support her and help her to bond with her new baby and get her new little family off to a good start.  Maybe let your sister get back on her feet before you have more discussion of the delivery.  If nothing else she has a heck of a war story!

Quoting PITAmom1023:

Im talking abt baby dropping I was abt to wheeled into surgery cause m son wouldnt drop she was forced to push.

Her birthplan included an episiotomy Dr had said ok til the moment of. She was chosing and episiotomy based on ppl she spoke to and listened to their experience.

Quoting jobseeker:

I am not a nurse, but I worked in ob offices for many years in the business end.  Every Dr has his/her own policies and philosophies.  I have had many conversations regarding delivery room nightmares (in my job I have to justify charges to insurance companies).  Fecal matter does not equal c section unless other criteria are mt.  Many docs do not like episiotomies because they cause scarring that might cause problems with subsequent deliveries.  Almost every OB I have ever worked with would rather not do a C on a woman under 25 because it weakens the uterine wall and makes subsequent pregnancies dangerous.  your sister being so young was a red flag.  The c's I have seen on very young women were patients that were VERY small framed.   All in all it sounds like you did not see her regular doctor.  Was this a county hospital or was it her regular one.  

All in all it sounds like she had a pretty bad experience.  I wish her well, and take care of her.  

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:42 PM

The doctor does not "work for you", no matter what it says on the literature.

And any nurse that openly questions a doctor's actions to the patient is unprofessional and insubordinate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)