Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do you consider a size 8 plus sized?

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:49 AM
  • 65 Replies

'Plus-Size' Models Now Sell Clothes to Woman Who Are as Small as Size 8

by Deborah Cruz

plus sized swimsuitThis week, Robyn Lawley, gorgeous 24-year-old Australian model, launched a plus-sized swimsuit line. Oh, and by the way, this “plus-sized” line starts at size 8. Go ahead and wrap your brain around that for a minute.

The average American woman is a size 14 so it would stand to reason that anything over that size would be considered plus sized. But it is standard practice that any model over a size 6 be considered plus sized in the fashion industry. To make matters even worse, those size 6 women often model what is supposed to be size 14’s for plus-sized shoots. So how does this all match up? It doesn’t.

Experts says that twenty years ago, the average model was eight percent smaller than the average American woman -but today, models are 23 percent tinier than the rest of us.

I’ve always wondered why clothing in a size 14 on the model never fits a real size 14 like it does in the ads. Now, I know it’s because it’s not a size 14 wearing the size 14. This is a dangerous and slippery slope we are on with women’s body image. If we try to live up to that standard, we just might find ourselves malnourished, in the throes of a nasty eating disorder or dead.

Robin Lawley is marketing her swimsuit line as plus-sized because that is what the fashion industry has taught her plus-sized is. By the way, Robin Lawley is 6’2” and wears a size 12, which by any rational standards is nowhere near plus-sized. She is tall, statuesque and beautiful but even she has been brainwashed into thinking she is plus sized.

We wonder why women fat talk as a national pastime, have such distorted body images. We wonder why 1 in 5 women suffer from eating disorders or disordered eating. Maybe it has something to do with this new trend of labeling perfectly healthy women as plus-sized.

Do you consider a size 8 plus sized?

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

No, but you have to remember sizes keep getting larger.  A size 8 today was a size 12 30 or 40 years ago.  Funny how my dd is a size 5 now.   I was a size 5 in and after HS and my dd weighs a lot more than I did and is bigger.  She is the same bone and height just weighs more.  My size 5 is a size 1 now. My dd isn't big I am just proving how off sizes are now compared to "way back when",

Size 14 was an 18 way back when. 

Everyone is obsessed with sizes.  We were not at all 30 years ago.  They had to do it to make everyone think they are smaller, lol.  The ones who are teens and 20 somethings have no idea really. 

AA2.0
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:23 PM
No, indeed. I'm a 10-12 and I wouldn't consider myself plus-size.
Yakisha81
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Heck no. I am a size 14 and some of my friends say I'm skinny. Don't see how but hey a size 8 is not plus size!!!!

NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Plus size isnt just about the size its about a shape.  A very short woman that is a size 8 isnt the same shape as a very tall woman that is a size 8.  I wear plus sizes but its better for me if I can find regular misses sizes in larger size.  Im nearly 6 feet tall and a size 18 looks very different on me than on a 5 foot tall woman.  Often plus sizes are too short in the torso, arms and legs and too wide around my middle.  I do have an hour glass shape and I dont like wearing a boxy t-shirt.  

Im guessing some of the plus sized suits are for the plus sized kids. 

RunningMommaof2
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Not on my body! I guess it depends on the person wearing the size 8... but size 8 is thin for me. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Trouble in with America so many people don't see they are overweight or obese. Pleasingly plump is the norm. 12 is normally not overweight. On someone 5 ft yes. Someone 5 ft 9, no.
othermom
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:32 PM

No an 8 is not plus sized

nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:48 PM

No way!  But I have seen women who wear 8-12 that have a very large chest(natural or surgically enhanced I don't know).  They often need larger sized tops to cover up themselves(many didn't go a large as plus size thought).

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 15, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

No, but you have to remember sizes keep getting larger.  A size 8 today was a size 12 30 or 40 years ago.  Funny how my dd is a size 5 now.   I was a size 5 in and after HS and my dd weighs a lot more than I did and is bigger.  She is the same bone and height just weighs more.  My size 5 is a size 1 now. My dd isn't big I am just proving how off sizes are now compared to "way back when",

Everyone is obsessed with sizes.  We were not at all 30 years ago.  They had to do it to make everyone think they are smaller, lol.  The ones who are teens and 20 somethings have no idea really. 

I was a six in high school. I have not changed, on freaking bit. Nothing. I weigh the same, my body is the same. I just bought a size zero jean at Gap. Insanity.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 15, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Yep, crazy isn't it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

I was a six in high school. I have not changed, on freaking bit. Nothing. I weigh the same, my body is the same. I just bought a size zero jean at Gap. Insanity.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN