Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do you consider a size 8 plus sized?

Posted by   + Show Post

'Plus-Size' Models Now Sell Clothes to Woman Who Are as Small as Size 8

by Deborah Cruz

plus sized swimsuitThis week, Robyn Lawley, gorgeous 24-year-old Australian model, launched a plus-sized swimsuit line. Oh, and by the way, this “plus-sized” line starts at size 8. Go ahead and wrap your brain around that for a minute.

The average American woman is a size 14 so it would stand to reason that anything over that size would be considered plus sized. But it is standard practice that any model over a size 6 be considered plus sized in the fashion industry. To make matters even worse, those size 6 women often model what is supposed to be size 14’s for plus-sized shoots. So how does this all match up? It doesn’t.

Experts says that twenty years ago, the average model was eight percent smaller than the average American woman -but today, models are 23 percent tinier than the rest of us.

I’ve always wondered why clothing in a size 14 on the model never fits a real size 14 like it does in the ads. Now, I know it’s because it’s not a size 14 wearing the size 14. This is a dangerous and slippery slope we are on with women’s body image. If we try to live up to that standard, we just might find ourselves malnourished, in the throes of a nasty eating disorder or dead.

Robin Lawley is marketing her swimsuit line as plus-sized because that is what the fashion industry has taught her plus-sized is. By the way, Robin Lawley is 6’2” and wears a size 12, which by any rational standards is nowhere near plus-sized. She is tall, statuesque and beautiful but even she has been brainwashed into thinking she is plus sized.

We wonder why women fat talk as a national pastime, have such distorted body images. We wonder why 1 in 5 women suffer from eating disorders or disordered eating. Maybe it has something to do with this new trend of labeling perfectly healthy women as plus-sized.

Do you consider a size 8 plus sized?

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Replies (61-65):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 20, 2013 at 2:45 PM
I am short and I do.

Quoting rusty2rusty:

I know, I'm a short woman. That is why I don't consider a size 8 as a plus size.

Quoting Anonymous:

In many short women they are fat at size 8. If you are tall no.

Quoting rusty2rusty:

No, not at all. A plus size to me is when you can see extra hanging of a woman.

MrsMadBrit
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I don't consider an 8 to be plus sized.

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 7:21 PM

For my body type, yes. I'm a size 4.

mrswillie
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:32 AM
It depends on the height.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:19 AM

i honestly have no clue how big a size 8 is

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)