Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Any medical billing/medical coding moms?

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:00 PM
  • 20 Replies
I've been thinking of taking some classes for this so that I may be able to work from home. I hate waking my babies up so early to take them to my moms's and just having to leave them in general. But I'm wondering if you have to go by the same schedule as a regular job? Or can you choose how many accounts to work on so that you can have time to get away from the computer to cook lunch for your kids? Or how does it work? Thanks in advance for your replies!
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sirkokobean
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:51 AM

well for medical billing and coding you have to work when the insurance companies are open.  it is very expensive to start doing this from home, $10,000 and up to do it.

kgsharber
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Where did you get $10k figure from? I have a friend that does it and it was nothing to start (nothing major at least). She just invested in her own private office so she could work away from home.

Quoting sirkokobean:

well for medical billing and coding you have to work when the insurance companies are open.  it is very expensive to start doing this from home, $10,000 and up to do it.

sirkokobean
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:59 AM

maybe its my part of the country, I looked in to doing this and you have to have a special type of computer and internet, the private business kind, not charter for home.  Then special sofeware from the government.  And it keeps going from there.  Once the set up is done its easy.

mommylicious210
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Bump :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Getting a job in that field is not as easy as they make it in the advertisements for it. I actually went to school for medical billing, and I graduated in March 2013. I am still job searching. Getting a job is not as easy as you think working from home for it. You need at least two or three years of experience before they will consider you for telecommute position. Most job postings for a medical biller at this point want two or three years of experience before they will hire you. Besides, there is a ton of competition for those entry level jobs at this point trust me. I have put in at least a hundred applicaitons online since March 2013, and I have had either a no call or a rejection email without an interview for 85% of them. I even have before I took the course experience in the medical office. At this point, I would tell you not to because you will be tossing your money away for no job at home.

Nicole_2007
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I went to school for it and just graduated and would like to find somthing to do from home but haven't found anything yet

mommylicious210
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:02 PM
What part of the country are u in?

Quoting sirkokobean:

maybe its my part of the country, I looked in to doing this and you have to have a special type of computer and internet, the private business kind, not charter for home.  Then special sofeware from the government.  And it keeps going from there.  Once the set up is done its easy.

mommylicious210
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Wow, I didn't realize how hard it might be...they do make it sound so easy. So it's kind of like a circle, "I can't get a job because I have no experience because I can't get a job..."

Quoting Anonymous:

Getting a job in that field is not as easy as they make it in the advertisements for it. I actually went to school for medical billing, and I graduated in March 2013. I am still job searching. Getting a job is not as easy as you think working from home for it. You need at least two or three years of experience before they will consider you for telecommute position. Most job postings for a medical biller at this point want two or three years of experience before they will hire you. Besides, there is a ton of competition for those entry level jobs at this point trust me. I have put in at least a hundred applicaitons online since March 2013, and I have had either a no call or a rejection email without an interview for 85% of them. I even have before I took the course experience in the medical office. At this point, I would tell you not to because you will be tossing your money away for no job at home.

mommylicious210
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:16 PM
I'm thinking then they want in office experience first maybe?

Quoting Nicole_2007:

I went to school for it and just graduated and would like to find somthing to do from home but haven't found anything yet

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I have medical office experience before I took the Medical Billing class. I still get rejected without an interview 85% of the time. There is a ton of applications out there for the healthcare offices trust me. There are so many college majors for the medical office, and it is not just nursing. There are so many trade schools out there for healthcare careers besides the community colleges and universities. Last evening, I got rejected for a part-time dental receptionist position without an interview because there were so many applications out there, and I have seven years of experience being a medical receptionist besides being a medical records clerk.

Quoting mommylicious210:

I'm thinking then they want in office experience first maybe?

Quoting Nicole_2007:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN