Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Guilty or not, you're still wrong

Posted by   + Show Post
I am appalled by the actions people have taken due to Zimmerman being found not guilty. How does jumping people fix the problem? How does destroying property fix the problem? Wouldn't it be better to find ways to fix the problems then to create more? I just don't understand it.
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Replies (21-24):
EarlGrayHot
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:39 PM

SOme people get out of control and incite others to do the same.  Mob mentality.  Yes, it doesn't solve the problem, it creates further problems.

GertieK
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:18 PM

When the prosecution presents their case, and it does nothing but help the guy they are prosecuting, you need to realize that while this was a terrible tragedy - it was not racism.  The jury took the evidence, compred it to the written law, and saw that there had been no law broken.  They dug into GZ's background, and tried HARD to find incidences in his past that proved he was racist.  They could not find anything - they interviewd people, teachers, people from all backgrounds, andcould not prove he was racist.  That is because he wasn't.  Where is the outrage over all of the other murders that take place everyday?  To quote Dana De Loesch, “Youth are the biggest target in Chicago. Black youth,” she pointed out.  “In 2012, Chicago had 100 more murders than New York City, 215 more than Los Angeles, and according to the Chicago Reporter and other statistics, from 2008 to 2012 half of Chicago’s nearly 2,500 homicide victims were killed before they reached their 25th birthdays.”

“So where are the riots?  Where are the protests?” Loesch asked.  “I mean yes, apparently they are just killing black teenagers out there – but who is ‘they’?  According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, anywhere from 8,000 to 9,000 black Americans are killed every year…93% of these murders are committed by other black Americans.” 

Now if all of these people out there protesting for Trayvon are so concerned about the death of a youth, then where have they been these past ten years?

[...]

If people really cared about the loss of black youth, they would be asking what the hell is going on in their communities.  They would be asking why black youth are dying at an epidemic rate.  This violence is a symptom of a problem.  A number of Chicago communities see half their residents living in poverty.  Schools are failing.  Economic opportunity is hard to find.  The family unit has been all but obliterated.…But you know, Chicago is just the progressive utopian dream, right?  This is President Obama’s backyard.  You have to ask why with the first black president are black Americans are one of the demographics – along with women – so adversely affected by his policies?  Why is dependence upon government assistance at an all time high?  Oh I see change, but there’s no hope to be found!  And why does it take a white girl with American-Indian ancestry [to ask] these questions?  Why is this not a topic of analysis on BET or One News or with Al Sharpton?"

The black community has been used, and is continuing to be used, to keep their own community as far down as possible.  Until they figure it out, and do something about it, nothing will change but will only get worse.  At some point the need to judge themselves by their character and not by the color of their skin will be the standard they use.  Until then, this whole mess will just get worse.

deb51980
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:09 AM

There are many, many people in this country with unfocused anger.  The weather is hot.  Many people who are in a disadvantaged situation feel victimhood that they don't have what more prosperous people have.

Add to the mix Rev. Al Sharpton, Rev. Jesse Jackson to focus that anger and to direct it, the Zimmerman protests are understandable.  Even our half-black President Obama made his contribution when he said that if he had a son, he would look like Martin---causing me to wonder wether the son of a President would be permitted to dress like a thug.

I got suspended from school for three days when at the end of the OJ Simpson trial I said,"I don't like that verdict.  I think I will go home and burn my neighborhood down."   Yeah, I can see how it was viewed as racist but I was really criticisng the people who rioted after the Rodney King trial.  He I am, an adult almost 20 years later and little seems to have changed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

They just prove the negative steryotypes as truth.  How stupid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)