Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Would you let your 7-year-old son wear makeup?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:31 AM
  • 26 Replies

Gwen Stefani Lets 7-Year-Old Son Kingston Wear Makeup -- Is She Nuts? (PHOTO)

by Mary Fischer

Kingston RossdaleNo, your eyes aren't playing tricks on you -- that's Gwen Stefani's 7-year-old son Kingston Rossdale wearing makeup for a day at the beach, something which is both puzzling and ridiculous at the same time.

Zoom in closer on the photo and you'll see that he does indeed appear to have on eye shadow, eyeliner, and lipstick, again -- at the BEACH. Where it's hot. Where that stuff could melt right off his face and drip into his eyes and sting them.

But aside from whatever the temperatures in Malibu happened to be that day, let's get back to the fact that this is a 7-year-old boy looking like he's just raided mom's makeup cabinet and had a field day.

Maybe that's what actually happened? Nah. That can't be it. The eyeliner is way too precisely applied, which indicates an adult likely put it on it for him.

And as the mother of a 7-year-old boy myself, I can't imagine what in the heck would possess anyone to let their son wear makeup. Ok, scratch that. I can't imagine letting any 7-year-old go out in public with makeup on, regardless of whether he or she is a boy or girl.

(Admit it. If Kingston were a little girl, you'd be appalled at all that makeup on her face.)

I mean, if I had a daughter, maybe I'd let her dab on a little bit of my lip gloss, but would I let her give the smoky eye look a whirl whenever she felt like it? Nope. No way. Because I wouldn't want her running around town looking like a teenager when she's barely old enough to know how to tie her shoes. And the same goes for my son, not that I can ever really imagine him asking to try on my makeup.

Bottom line -- kids that young simply have no business getting into our makeup bags because they're kids, for crying out loud. The time we have with them while they are little is so precious and so short. They already grow up too fast as it is, so we should savor everything about them that makes them little kids even though we want them to be individuals and express themselves.

And I'm sure that's exactly what Gwen was doing here -- letting Kingston express himself. But there have to be better ways than going out in public with heavy eye makeup at the tender age of 7, right?

Would you let your 7-year-old wear makeup?

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:35 AM

No regardless of the sex of the child 7 is way too young.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:37 AM
No, like the previous poster. 7 year olds do not need makeup at all.
Momofmenagerie
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Each family dynamic is different, my family dynamic indicates " no". However, this is Gwen Stephani's family dynamic ... I would totally expect her to apply it or have her artist do him up on occasion.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:10 PM
2 moms liked this

Nope,  makeup is for women, not little boys.

LADYxGHOST
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:47 PM

depends on the back story.  No neither a 7 year old boy or girl should be wearing make-up as a standard part of their attire, however both my dd and ds have wore make-up at that age. My children where into acting and did plays and wearing makeup was part of the gig. Given there is no back story on why he has it on, I will presume it is nothing more than a harmless act and perhaps a bonding moment between mother and child.

mom22boys333
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:55 PM

No

Nicole_2007
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:14 PM

No to me makeup is for girls.  My daughter will be 7 next week and I have let her and her friend play makeup when they had a sleep over but they were here in the house and they are girls.  My 4 year old son is always asking to wear some and I always explain to him that he is a boy and makeup is for girls.  I go and show him my husbands calone and dab a little on him just so he feels special in his own way but we don't do it that often

sugareemommee
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:18 PM
No way! No 7 year old needs that much makeup!

But my boys are real boys, not Hollywood boys. They know the beach is for playing in the water and sand and wouldn't even dream of asking to wear it there, or in general.
rachellaree20
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Not at 7, boy or girl.  That's way too young.  Maybe I'd let my 7 year old put it on for fun, but not go out in public.  I wasn't allowed to wear make-up until middle school and the same rule will apply to my children.

jlmc
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:41 PM

NO

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN