Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

birthday parties

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:37 AM
  • 6 Replies

My sons birthday party is coming up in September he is turning 7 and I am planning the birthday party. My ex texted me asking me if this year he was getting invited him and his family. All the other birthdays we have never done a birthday together we have always done separate ones for the fact that our families do not get along and it's always high conflict.

So I told him no. I told him he is able to take him the day of his party either before his party or after his party doesn't bother me which he decides and he can also throw him a birthday party of his own as well. Did I handle this right?

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:35 AM

If you've always done separate parties for his family and your family to keep the peace in the past, then I think you handled it right. No sense in changing things up and doing just 1 big party and having to deal with family drama on what's supposed to be a fun day for your son.

Nicole_2007
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I think you handled it just fine.  If your family and his don't get along and you have always done sepperate parties in the past to keep the peace then why change things now.  Its supposed to be a special day for your son and I am sure if you had one big party and everyone was fighting it would ruin things for him. 

jlmc
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Personally I always let my ex come to DD birthday parties, we get along for our DD, I think he is a POS but would nver deny him the chance to come together with me and my family to show our daughter how much we all love and care for her, regaurdless of our differences. We think DD seeing how everyone cares for her is important, we try to show her we are all still a team and in her life for good. Sometimes we even do group lunches or mall trips, me, dh, my ex, his gf, his brother, the whole bunch. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:36 PM

If this works for you, then fine.  At some point for the sake of your child it will be good to start getting along.  Your child is getting to the age of understanding.  I would have a talk with my family and have him talk to his.  Let everyone know that it is time to start getting along for 2 hours a year.  Better start at some time.  

AAP1988
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:19 AM

We get along pretty much when I give him his own way. I always tell him we shouldn't fight or anything but he doesn't listen. 

Quoting Anonymous:

If this works for you, then fine.  At some point for the sake of your child it will be good to start getting along.  Your child is getting to the age of understanding.  I would have a talk with my family and have him talk to his.  Let everyone know that it is time to start getting along for 2 hours a year.  Better start at some time.  

aj_mom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:42 PM

If the families can't get along and the two of you are obviously not together then I would just do 2 separate parties.

If everyone involved got along I would do 1 big party. Just make sure that friends aren't invited to both parties that might look "greedy".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)