Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Starting Kindergarten with a pacifier?

Posted by   + Show Post

What age do you think kids should be forced to give up the pacifier? A friend of mine's daughter is starting Kindergarten next month and still sucks her pacifier all day.

by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 6:06 PM
Your friend needs to cold turkey get that paci away now. Ridiculous.
terrashpere
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh man, I totally feel for that momma. Tris never used a paci- but he did nurse full time until I was forced to cut him off, cold turkey, at almost 20 months. Solid food didn't make the transition easier, nor did a host of other "replacement comforts." I know how awful it is to be doing your darnedest to get the kiddo weaned from a habit that is no longer beneficial and listening to the multitudes judging you as struggle, but still being unwilling to rip your child away from an action that means 'comfort' and 'safety' to him. My recommendation: your friend should bite the bullet and cut dd off, cold turkey. It's gonna suck, and it'll be awful for her dd, but the suck passes, and it really will benefit the baby's oral health in the long run.
midjet117
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:18 PM
1 mom liked this

a yr old. Anything over that and it just urks me. You have a kid that talks with that stupid thing in their mouth and it sounds all muffled. Just bugs the crap outta me.

MrsMadBrit
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I would think around 2, but I don't really know because none of mine used them. I think if they are old enough for school then they are old enough to let go of a pacifier though.

rachellaree20
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I think by 2.  I had a pacifier when I was a child long enough to remember having one (I don't remember what age my parents finally took it away) but I think that's too old.  Also, and I'm not sure if it's related, but my entire life I've had a habit of biting/chewing on my lips, cheeks and tongue and I'm wondering if having a pacifier so long created that habit.

jlmc
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:50 PM

1? 2 at the latest! That is embarrassing! Not to mention not good for the poor kids teeth!

xoxRachelxox
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Wow... that is ridiculous! 

I was lucky that all three of my boys gave up their binkies by the time they were 6 months old. They didn't want them anymore. 

I had planned on taking them off at a year. 

Its.Me.Mama
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:24 PM
3 moms liked this

My son stopped using his at 2.5 now my DD that was a whole different story... At 3 we took them away, she started sucking her fingers with the knuckles facing up.. She would suck on them til the knuckles bled and then switched fingers.  Her ped saw thema nd said whats going on we told him we took the paci away and that now we cant keep her fingers out of her mouth. He said give back the paci, it was better for her, she was bound to get an infection in her fingers the way she was going.... He said we really dont worry about the paci til they start kindergarten and then its more for a social reason then a medical one... so we gave it back... as kindergarten got closer we were trying again to get rid of it..... we got it down to just night time and then her first day came and the stinker comes home and says mommy I told all my new friends about my paci addiction and they all understood so now its not a problem.... grrrrrr   We let her have it for a few months at night until the last one was lost.... then she become a thumb sucker.... at age 8 we took her to see my ds ortho who told her that she had 6 weeks to stop sucking her thumb or he was going to put an appliance in her mouth that would stop her... (her bff had pallet expander put in and had told her how much it hurt) so she was scared... so 6 weeks later we went back and she had stopped, so the ortho put casting stuff in a cup and had her put her thumb in it and made her a thumb trophy for doing it herself

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Ds stopped using his right before he turned. The school isn't going to let her have a pacifier.

Momofmenagerie
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:31 PM
WAYYYY before kinder! Omg!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)