Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Starting Kindergarten with a pacifier?

Posted by   + Show Post

What age do you think kids should be forced to give up the pacifier? A friend of mine's daughter is starting Kindergarten next month and still sucks her pacifier all day.

by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Replies (201-210):
lovemymini
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:48 PM

That's crazy I am so thanks my DS never took to one.  I think by 1 yr you should start phasing them out and have them completely gone by 18 months

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:53 PM

No preschools my dd went to allowed paci's.  Even the 2 year old preschool.  Daycare took it away at her first B'day too. 

rjsmommy214
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:57 PM
It's funny because I was anti pacifier before I had DS but we ended up using one. He had it much longer than I had hoped. When he turned 3 we had him throw his paci away. I thought that was late...starting kindergarten with one is a bit much.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 29, 2013 at 4:03 PM
My three were born sucking thumb, middle fingers,and forearm, respectively. Unable to toss their pacies, before school age, two stopped sucking fingers and began biting nails! Ugggg!
At 26, 27, and 34, no one has a paci. If home is rocky, the kiddo may need the paci longer. They will quit before college and I found focusing on important skills, lessened the need to sweat the small stuff.

jthompson1976
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Way to old for the pacifier.
jthompson1976
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:26 PM
2 at the most may be 3 usally start bitting them
doriselm
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Nothing but a germ catcher. She will be ridiculed by the other children and it will most likely follow her throughout school. Others will remember her for that reason, she was the kid with the pacifier. It will be harmful for her and I really don't think the school will let her use the pacifier, so not to set her up for bullying. I don't agree with the mom, but found that if I worry about everything someone else does, I will drive myself crazy. So unless it harms children and I am right there to do something about it, I try not to worry about it anymore.

WitchyMom2
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 7:47 PM

5 years old with a pacifier?! My opinion, this is ridiculous. If a child cannot self soothe with out a pacifier at age 5 something is wrong. Plus this child is not ready for school and if she attends with a pacifier, she will be open to so much teasing and ridicule.

Both my boys stopped using their pacifiers at 3 months of age, on their own. If they hadn't, I would have taken them away by 12 months of age.

Hanab818
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 7:48 PM
A year. Sucking on a paci is just bad for your mouth.
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 9:22 PM

As an infant in my house it was by 4mo's.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)