Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Starting Kindergarten with a pacifier?

Posted by   + Show Post

What age do you think kids should be forced to give up the pacifier? A friend of mine's daughter is starting Kindergarten next month and still sucks her pacifier all day.

by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Replies (21-30):
casseopeia
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:00 PM

You have got to be effing kidding me?!>?!  Wow, a mother worse than my SO's ex.

Elyssa414
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:02 PM
My foster son is 9, and came to us at age 8- still using a pacifier. He has special needs, but still!
My two that used them gave them up before 18mos
jas_momof2
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:02 PM

2-3 years...  But my son had issues...

lovebirdsf
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:05 PM
10 months is max for me …… u have 3 and only my oldest daughter took it!!! Now going to kindergarten with it, that's crazy

Quoting bamababe1975:

What age do you think kids should be forced to give up the pacifier? A friend of mine's daughter is starting Kindergarten next month and still sucks her pacifier all day.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I feel sorry for that kindergarten teacher....(spoken as a former kindergarten teacher).

As for the mom &/or dad?  Shame on them.  The damage that a pacifier can do to the formation of a child's mouth can be devastating with thumb and pacifier sucking.  The teeth grow in and form to the shape of what ever is in their mouth all day/night.  

The laziness of the parents not to wean her is delayed child abuse - painful orthodontics later in life because they were too lazy or too weak to make their child stop.

What else, in life, will they be too lazy to enforce, causing the child to grow up spoiled and entitled?  What kind of precedent are they setting for the rest of their child's life? 

This kind of thing really upsets me (can you tell?).  No one is a perfect parent, but this sort of thing has crystal clear predictable consequences.

firemouse23
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:07 PM

My son broke himself of it before he was 1.  My girls were just over 1 when I took it from them.  I think 5 is way too old to be sucking on a pacifier.

Dee0886
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:07 PM

6 months with all my kids...kindergarten is ridiculous.

smorgan865
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:08 PM
HORRIBLE. I'd never accept it after 1 year.

Neither of my kids had it past 2 months, and even when we did use them we RARELY had them in public.
emarin77
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:09 PM

My son stopped using a pacifier when he turned 3.  That is so bad for her teeth.  Most likely she will stop using one because she will be made fun of.

AML5577
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Kindergarten is WAY WAY too late. We had to cold-turkey my oldest daughter when she was 2 and I think even THAT was too late. It messed up her top teeth, caused them to push outward a bit.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)