Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Starting Kindergarten with a pacifier?

Posted by   + Show Post

What age do you think kids should be forced to give up the pacifier? A friend of mine's daughter is starting Kindergarten next month and still sucks her pacifier all day.

by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Replies (31-40):
Retrokitty
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:11 PM
I think for sleeping they can have it as long as they want. During the day it should be given up at around 2.
pokey-pwa
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:12 PM

My oldest was the only one that really ever used one.  Hers was gone by age 2.  Really she didnt use one much after about 18 months but sometimes would if she wasn't feeling well at night or nap time.  Most parents I know have them weened or are weening them by age 2.

illinoismommy83
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Is she special needs? I think autistic children who start Kindergarten with a comfort item adjust better. My friend's son kept his pacifier and it was the biggest help in his transition into school. His aide was able to soothe him with it and it just was really wonderful all around.

Nesa824
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I took my son's at 1 year. 

srehman
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Well, my oldest took hers till she was 2 1/2-3 we started weaning her around 2 to only nap time and bedtime and then took it away just befor or after her 3rd bday I can't stand to see kids older than that with those things in their mouth ugh!!!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

My 7 yr old still has her bink but she only uses it when she's tired. There is nothing wrong with it. It is no different than a child who sucks on their fingers or thumb. She didn't/doesn't take it to school.

newmomphilly1
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:20 PM
I never a one when I was a child. And I stop my dd at 10 months as well.
Here are some signs when you should get RID of one.

1. Kid has more almost all there teeth.
2. Kid says mom can you can my binky.
3. In order for your child to speak they remove it and have a conversation with you, then place it back in there mouth.

I'm just saying its odd to be 5 or 6 learning math, reading with a pacifier.
dancer
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:23 PM

The teacher will not allow that.  My son stopped before he was 2. Plus it is a fact that alot of kids will get dental problems like horse or buck teeth.

Mama2ETA
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:25 PM

why?

OP: When it starts affecting their teeth (which is usually around 3-4)

Quoting MommyLehr:

Once the kid hits their first birthday. 

frtchr
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this
My DD is 6 and sucks her thumb at night. The dentist said he couldn't even tell, and her teeth and mouth are forming with no problems. I wish she would stop, but it seems like a pretty minimal issue.

Quoting Anonymous:

I feel sorry for that kindergarten teacher....(spoken as a former kindergarten teacher).

As for the mom &/or dad?  Shame on them.  The damage that a pacifier can do to the formation of a child's mouth can be devastating with thumb and pacifier sucking.  The teeth grow in and form to the shape of what ever is in their mouth all day/night.  

The laziness of the parents not to wean her is delayed child abuse - painful orthodontics later in life because they were too lazy or too weak to make their child stop.

What else, in life, will they be too lazy to enforce, causing the child to grow up spoiled and entitled?  What kind of precedent are they setting for the rest of their child's life? 

This kind of thing really upsets me (can you tell?).  No one is a perfect parent, but this sort of thing has crystal clear predictable consequences.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)