Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Starting Kindergarten with a pacifier?

Posted by   + Show Post

What age do you think kids should be forced to give up the pacifier? A friend of mine's daughter is starting Kindergarten next month and still sucks her pacifier all day.

by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Replies (41-50):
MinglingMom
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

We plan to take it away when she's done teething. Right now, she just chews on it and she only gets it at night or for naps anyway.

LilyofPhilly
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I think once they become mobile and start to babble, the pacifier should only be used at bedtime, and should be gone by the time they're a year old. 

I used to babysit two sisters, By 3 and 1, I had them both off the pacifier, one completely, the other was down to nap time. The girls' mother had them walking around with them all the time. They really don't need these things once they've cut teeth.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Out of four kids they all used them for a couple months but my last and by his first b day it just disappeared. Yes infants like the comfort but its more for the parents than the child also.
CatFishMom
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, thats too old. I work hard not to judge people for things like bottles and pacifiers-to a degree I say each their own-but when youre going to school with one? You have a problem.

bakerytreatz16
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:32 PM
I don't know. My dds only 15 months and she never wanted a pacifier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaylamom2004
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:33 PM

She WILL NOT be allowed to have a pacifier in school.

Once the kid gets teeth, they shouldn't have one because they'll bite holes in the nipple & then that gives them air bubbles in their stomach.

JenGo
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Most people get rid of it around 1 because the older the child is the harder it is to get it away from them. The older they are, the more they are sure that this is just a part of their every day life and will be forever. At that point it will disrupt their lives far more than if you take it at a younger age. In my humble opinion, it should have been gone years ago. It bothers me when parents let their kids talk through their paci. It is one of my biggest pet peeves.
My DD gave hers up at 18 months, and did it on her own, so I was fortunate. DS never wanted one, they annoyed him, so he never had one.

LilyofPhilly
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

My 7 yr old still has her bink but she only uses it when she's tired. There is nothing wrong with it. It is no different than a child who sucks on their fingers or thumb. She didn't/doesn't take it to school.

As the parent of a former thumb-sucker, I am shaking my head. What I would have given to have gotten my son out of his habit sooner! I think he was about 10 when he stopped altogether. I wish I could have gotten my son into the pacifier, because then I could have taken it away much sooner. Maybe then, his teeth wouldn't have been so messed up.

I would try to figure out why your child feels the need to still be sucking on a pacifier to soothe herself. By 7, she should have other ways of putting herself to sleep or calming herself. If not, she may have anxiety, which my son has, or some other condition. Better to get to the root of the problem, rather than promoting infantile behavior. 

Just my personal opinion. Nobody is a perfect parent, and when you look back, you'll see a lot of things that you'll think you could have done differently. Myself, I might have wrapped my baby's hands in socks or something, and never let him put that thumb in his mouth in the first place!

simple smile

jenniferv27
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:46 PM
That is far from ok. That poor child its going to get made fun of to the extreme not to mention having one that long is going to cause serious problems for her teeth. In my opinion a child should not have a binki past 1 not even really 2 but it really needs to be gone by 3. The longer a child holds on to a binki, bottle, or blanky it causes future separation issues. Now I don't firmly believe everything I studied in college but when it came to subjets on separation issues this is one I feel strongly about. I unfortunally didn't have this advice with my oldest boy and I had a REAL hard time with him but I learned my lesson and didn't repeat my mistake with my other 4.
Saharra
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:49 PM
12 months was my rule. They older they are the more ridiculous it looks, plus it's harder to get away from them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN