Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Painting baby's nails is just dumb.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 71 Replies
3 moms liked this

My sil painted her 6mo's fingernails a bright Barbie pink and then bitched for 3days about how the baby gnawed all the paint off. Don't paint a baby's nails and she won't chew the paint off, idiot! Besides, is it even safe for baby to ingest that stuff?

I think painting a baby's fingernails is dumb. What do you think? Is painting a baby's fingernails okay?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HaileysMom07180
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

we painted dd's when she was a baby, usually her toes tho, she is almost 7 now and she still gnaws nail polish off her fingers.  

I think as far as you thinking its dumb, you are entitled to your oponiion but don't judge others for doing something you thinik is dumb.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:32 AM
I painted my 15 month olds toenails with clear nail polish..
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:32 AM
3 moms liked this
Never entered my mind. Seems stupid.
The_Doodle
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't really see the point of dealing with the hassle when they are that young. I do have a 3 year old whose toes and fingers I paint sometimes, but it is because she asks me to and, since she wants it, she sits still for me until I am done and get them dried.
bamababe1975
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm with you. I think it's fine when they're toddlers and less likely to chew the paint off, but when they're infants, why bother? There are some polishes that are designed specifically for children because they know the kids will likely chew them, but most of the others aren't really safe for that. I'd just say wait until they're older and paint them with the safe polishes rather than doing it when they're babies and don't even know what's going on.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:26 AM

What a f'n waste of time. I put that up there with piercing their ears when they're newborns. They're too little to know wtf is going on so why do that to them? For your own vanity? It's stupid.

Marimaru
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't paint nails until I was sure they wouldn't be going directly into the mouth.  Toenails aren't any safer.

And no, I'm not thinking it's a good idea to let your baby eat nailpolish.

terrashpere
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Awww, I think it's cute! Not much different than dressing your little one in a frilly dress or putting a bow or headband on her. At this age, doing anything at all for their appearance other than bathing them and putting them in a clean, white onsie is solely done for the parents' vanity and sense of aesthetics. Making our offspring "attractive" is both biologically and socially motivated- its human nature, so as long as you use the polish brands specifically designed to be harmless when ingested, might as well enjoy it.

It does seem a bit silly to complain when the baby chews it off though. If the inevitable is annoying to a parent, my suggestion would be: "Don't paint them if you're only going to bitch about it later."
moniagee
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:12 PM
4 moms liked this
I painted my dd's toenails when she was 8 days old. It's cute. Besides, she's a lady, and ladies never get caught wearing open toed shoes without her toes being done.
;-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
godsgirl26
by ♥ char ♥ on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Never entered my mind. Seems stupid.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN