Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

God is a White Racist? REALLY!

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:10 AM
  • 33 Replies

http://now.msn.com/anthea-butler-university-of-pennsylvania-professor-calls-god-racist

Still of Anthea Butler < [OdysseyNetworks via YouTube]

"God ain't good all of the time. In fact, sometimes, God is not for us," Anthea Butler, of the University of Pennsylvania's Department of Religious Studies, wrote Monday in a blog post on ReligionDispatches.org. "As a black woman in [a] nation that has taken too many pains to remind me that I am not a white man, and am not capable of taking care of my reproductive rights, or my voting rights, I know that this American god ain't my god." Then she dropped the bomb: "As a matter of fact, I think he's a white racist god with a problem." The University of Pennsylvania has declined to comment on Butler's revelation of God's race and personal, uh, foibles. [Source]

by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:27 AM
This lady is a f'd up idiot.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Wow, that's the biggest bunch of bull I've read in a long time.

Marimaru
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, if you don't take what she's saying literally, I can see what she's saying.  I think she's say that God, as represented by many of the people in this country, is like that.  Hence where she says "this American god ain't my god."

jobseeker
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:44 PM

She LITERALLY SAID:

I know that this American god ain't my god." Then she dropped the bomb: "As a matter of fact, I think he's a white racist god with a problem." 

What symbolism or 'representation' do you get from that? 

I understand the negative reaction to the verdict. I am befuddled at the verdict.  My faith tells me that GOD does all and allows all for the good of HIS people.  I am confused as to why this is all happening, but I find this statement as a denial of the omnipotence of GOD.  It sounds like this woman has no faith and no respect for the historical, biblical GOD.  

There are many disasters and injustices written and recorded in biblical accounts.  Sodom and Gomorrah, the great flood of Noah, the murder of the innocents, and the destruction of Pharaoh's troops in the Exodus story to name a few.  A professor of religious studies SHOULD be familiar with these and be able to connect the reality that God is the God of ALL men and women, and IF TM is a martyr for a larger cause it is in GOD'S plan.  That is not to say that TM's death was justified, just that it is part of a larger (and very confusing) plan.

Whether she is or ever was a religious woman, she does not have the authority to speak on God's thoughts of racism.  If HE is a racist God, then the Africans would be the masters of the earch, since it is scientifically proven that the oldest human life originated in Africa.  a Racist God would therefore make all subsequest peoples subject to HIS first creation.  

I find this whole post blasphemous.

Quoting Marimaru:

Well, if you don't take what she's saying literally, I can see what she's saying.  I think she's say that God, as represented by many of the people in this country, is like that.  Hence where she says "this American god ain't my god."

EarlGrayHot
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Oh come on.  It's not blasphemy-it's a member of a known mistreated minority making a point.  SHe doesn't have the authority to speak on behalf of God?  Other people do that all the time so why not her?

GertieK
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:36 PM
3 moms liked this

What an angry woman with a pitiful outlook.  It amazes me when people like her who have an amazing opportunity to promote coming together choose instead to not only promote division, but to blaspheme God.  The Zimmerman verdict was one based on laws and evidence.  It was not based on emotions.  The jury worked with the evidence given to them, and compared it to the laws as written.  The only verdict that they could come up with was "not guilty".  The prosecutionset the bar high, and could not prove their case.  They did everything they could, from with-holding evidence, firing employees who refused to behave unethically, and still could not make theri case.  As a matter of fact, their presentation helped GZ - because they HAD NO CASE!  Was it tragic?  Of course.  But where is the outcry for all of the people being killed daily in towns like Chicago and Detroit?  Where is the outcry for the 19 million black babies who have been aborted?  Where is the REAL concern for each other.  The black people have been played and used as tools to create what will become the beginning of the next civil war.  They are swallowing the crap the al not-too-sharpton,  jessie jackson, the media, and even the administration are feeding them.  They have been lulled into becoming a group so dependent on government support that they are willing to follow them anywhere out of fear they will lose that support.  We are on the brink of chaos over this, and when it happens, martial law will be declared - and then it will be on. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this
You are right? They want a lynching and what happens when roles are reversed. They scream discrimination. They want their cake and eat it too.

Quoting GertieK:

What an angry woman with a pitiful outlook.  It amazes me when people like her who have an amazing opportunity to promote coming together choose instead to not only promote division, but to blaspheme God.  The Zimmerman verdict was one based on laws and evidence.  It was not based on emotions.  The jury worked with the evidence given to them, and compared it to the laws as written.  The only verdict that they could come up with was "not guilty".  The prosecutionset the bar high, and could not prove their case.  They did everything they could, from with-holding evidence, firing employees who refused to behave unethically, and still could not make theri case.  As a matter of fact, their presentation helped GZ - because they HAD NO CASE!  Was it tragic?  Of course.  But where is the outcry for all of the people being killed daily in towns like Chicago and Detroit?  Where is the outcry for the 19 million black babies who have been aborted?  Where is the REAL concern for each other.  The black people have been played and used as tools to create what will become the beginning of the next civil war.  They are swallowing the crap the al not-too-sharpton,  jessie jackson, the media, and even the administration are feeding them.  They have been lulled into becoming a group so dependent on government support that they are willing to follow them anywhere out of fear they will lose that support.  We are on the brink of chaos over this, and when it happens, martial law will be declared - and then it will be on. 

jobseeker
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:35 PM

No one has authority to say what is in the mind of GOD.  Those who do re speaking in error and those who follow them are also in erroe.

Quoting EarlGrayHot:

Oh come on.  It's not blasphemy-it's a member of a known mistreated minority making a point.  SHe doesn't have the authority to speak on behalf of God?  Other people do that all the time so why not her?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not religious but was raised that way....Most white americans think of Jesus and God as white....Most black people think of him as black....Scholars will tell you that Jesus most likely looked like an Arab as he was from that area.....Seems to me like she was pissed off and showing it.

jobseeker
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Images of God and Christ are always portrayed in the image of the artist. Not to say that the artist portrays themselves, but the image LOOKS like the people around them.. That is not close to the point...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)