Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Will This Be Too Hard On Baby?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

My dh will be working midnights when lo is due.  We have no family out here and the few friends I have have normal jobs and families of their own.  I really don't want to be taking care of a newborn alone for 2/3s of the day, all alone all night and then all alone during the day while dh sleeps.  He says he'd help while he's sleeping but to be honest I don't see myself making the extra effor of spending 5-10 minutes trying to get him to wake up just to change a diaper when I'm already up and could do it myself.  I was thinking maybe I could just get on dh's schedule too.  Like stay up with lo all night and sleep during the day with dh for about 3-4weeks and then go back to a normal schedule 2-3weeks before going back to work.  Would that screw up lo's schedule too much?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Babies' schedules can be adjusted with some time and patience, but if you're planning on going back to work, you probably don't want to go through the trouble of changing things now only to change them again before you do.

mom22boys333
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I wouldn't change schedules twice......you could maybe adjust your schedule some, like you guys stay up a little later and be able to switch back more easily than if you totally changed schedules.

missingme07
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:01 PM

When my son was born I was working overnights, He somehow managed to get on my schedule, which was fine by me but my babysitter hated me for it! He would just sit there wide awake all night ;) it was super simple to switch him back, I just had to make sure that i did my best to keep him up during the day as much as possible so that he would go to sleep at night for me. 

aj_mom
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I wouldn't be hard on baby it would be hard on you.

Katt709
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I wouldn't do that. I know it sounds hard to do - but I'd just suck it up and take care of baby. You will be any way. That's just how it works out. If you really, really need a break - then just wake him up! :)

tresproudmommy
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Taking care of a new born isn't all that hard.  They mostly eat, sleep, and poop.  If they cry, figure out what they need and comfort them. 

When DS was born DH was working nights and it was much easier for me to have my own schedule with DS than to try and change to DH schedule.  I would also put DS to bed nightly around 8 that way I could have the rest of the night to clean or have me time or whatever. 

I just don't think I would change schedules just to change back later....not a big problem for the baby but would probably be very hard on you.

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 5:03 PM
" I really don't want to be taking care of a newborn alone for 2/3s of the day, all alone all night and then all alone during the day while dh sleeps"

Umm then maybe you should have thought about that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 18, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Quoting marchantmom06:

" I really don't want to be taking care of a newborn alone for 2/3s of the day, all alone all night and then all alone during the day while dh sleeps"

Always got to be one. h )+c had a vasectomy before we got married. Apparently it didn't take.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 18, 2013 at 5:43 PM
Quoting mom22boys333:

I wouldn't change schedules twice......you could maybe adjust your schedule some, like you guys stay up a little later and be able to switch back more easily than if you totally changed schedules.

That sounds like a good middle ground.
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 6:37 PM
I'm sure he did. Like I said you have had plenty of time to think about it but complaining that you don't want to take care of the child 2/3 rd of the day is stupid. Who should take care of it? Your husband works, clearly to provide for you to stay home and you are complaining about taking care of the child? Grow up and deal with it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting marchantmom06:

Always got to be one. h )+c had a vasectomy before we got married. Apparently it didn't take.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)