Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

I think she stole from me

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies

I have a new babysitter that I use for only times when I will be gone for two hours or less. She is the daughter of a friend. When I met her she was 12  by now probably 13 years old. I'm not sure if it matters or not but she is not from a well to do family ( her parents are recovering additcts, and mom is sick most of the time) and I don't know them all that well. Well enough to feel comfortable with her in my home and with my kids, but not to say if she would be capable of stealing from me. I cannot say what type of morals she has regardless of socioeconomic status. I also am on a very tight budget so please don't think I 'm judging. I'm just saying it may have some bearing on the facts.

Anyway, the second time I had her over, I noticed a few days later that my tablet was missing. Not just that but the charger too. I have turned my house upside down looking for it. My laptop bit it and I've needed something for internet purposes. I have been relying on my phone as of late but it's a pain.

So, what do I do? I have not asked her back over, mostly becuase I have not needed her but there were a few times I could have called her and didn't becuase I am not sure if she took it or not. I have not had any other company to my house except my grandmother who wouldn't even know what a tablet is or how to use it so it really doesn't leave anyone else.

Do I ask her? Obviously with absolutely no proof whatsoever I cannot, nor would I, accuse her. Do I just chalk it up to a loss? Like I said though, I'm on a budget and those things are expensive,

Any advice?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

If she's your friends dd how do you not know her that well,and you don't know how old she is.I wouldn't have had her in my house or alone with a small child if I didn't know her well.But since it's already over and done with I would call you friend and tell her the situation and have her talk to the teen.Maybe she used it and put it up somewhere where you havn't looked or maybe she did take it(I hope not)but when you invite people into your house that you do not know at all,anything is possible.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 18, 2013 at 5:29 PM

The reason I know them is that the lady is a friend of my sister. Who happens to be part of a tight group. I know the lady, she would wait on us at the restaurant down the road. So I had enough trust to have them in my home and to play with my kids while I run errands. The daughter was twelve when I met them but I think she must be 13 now. It's not like they are complete strangers. They happen to live just down the block and it's nice to havea teen you know to be available for those last minute times when you need to run out and you can pay her $20 rather than the $20 an hour most Nanny or sitters are asking these days. I am on a budget like I mentioned, so it does make a diference to me. Of course if I could affford a nanny, I absolutly would.

I hope that helps answer some o f your questions and thank you for the response.

Quoting Anonymous:

If she's your friends dd how do you not know her that well,and you don't know how old she is.I wouldn't have had her in my house or alone with a small child if I didn't know her well.But since it's already over and done with I would call you friend and tell her the situation and have her talk to the teen.Maybe she used it and put it up somewhere where you havn't looked or maybe she did take it(I hope not)but when you invite people into your house that you do not know at all,anything is possible.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 18, 2013 at 5:38 PM

ok, I was just going by your post when you stated "I don't know them all that well.I cannot say what type of morals she has..."

Quoting Anonymous:

The reason I know them is that the lady is a friend of my sister. Who happens to be part of a tight group. I know the lady, she would wait on us at the restaurant down the road. So I had enough trust to have them in my home and to play with my kids while I run errands. The daughter was twelve when I met them but I think she must be 13 now. It's not like they are complete strangers. They happen to live just down the block and it's nice to havea teen you know to be available for those last minute times when you need to run out and you can pay her $20 rather than the $20 an hour most Nanny or sitters are asking these days. I am on a budget like I mentioned, so it does make a diference to me. Of course if I could affford a nanny, I absolutly would.

I hope that helps answer some o f your questions and thank you for the response.

Quoting Anonymous:

opal10161973
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I would ask about it in a way that was not accusing her, but more like:  I can't seem to find my tablet and I was wondering if you saw it when you were over here watching the kid(s) the other day?  Make sure you ask her in front of her Mom.  It's likely that Mom will either A. Have seen the tablet and her DD gave her some excuse as to why she had it or B. Notice by her DD's reaction if she is lying to you about it or not.  If the Mom instantly gets defensive and/or argumentative, then it's likely the kid stole it and the Mom knows and doesn't give a shit. 

This happened to me once about a couple of Nintendo DS games of my DS, who was 7 at the time.  The lady just said and I quote, "No he doesn't have it and even if he did, you have no proof those are your son's games." and then slammed the door in my face.  Really lady? 

Also, with a tablet, most of time, you CAN prove that it is yours, because you registered it, right?  So, if they are acting like her DD took it, I would go to the police and find out what can be done.  You have reasonable suspicion that she took it, since she was in your home and it was there before she arrived and was not there after she left. 

oOoLeilanioOo
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 5:59 PM

If it's an ipad go to icloud.com and page it/lock it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 18, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I wish, its an android. I do have lookout security on it but it can't seem to locate it. It's supposed to make it "scream" so you can locate and if the battery goes dead it saves its location every few minutes. But it's not responding so I'm wondering if it has been removed.

Quoting oOoLeilanioOo:

If it's an ipad go to icloud.com and page it/lock it. 

hello_kitty25
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 6:04 PM

If my tablet went missing you best believe i would say its missing to them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 18, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Sadly I didn't. (register it) It was somewhat new and I never did get around to it. However great advice to ask in front of the mom. I was going to ask the girl but your right, Mom may know something. I just hope Moms morals are better than that of your son's friend. You can know someone but you never really know what they are capable of. 

Quoting opal10161973:

I would ask about it in a way that was not accusing her, but more like:  I can't seem to find my tablet and I was wondering if you saw it when you were over here watching the kid(s) the other day?  Make sure you ask her in front of her Mom.  It's likely that Mom will either A. Have seen the tablet and her DD gave her some excuse as to why she had it or B. Notice by her DD's reaction if she is lying to you about it or not.  If the Mom instantly gets defensive and/or argumentative, then it's likely the kid stole it and the Mom knows and doesn't give a shit. 

This happened to me once about a couple of Nintendo DS games of my DS, who was 7 at the time.  The lady just said and I quote, "No he doesn't have it and even if he did, you have no proof those are your son's games." and then slammed the door in my face.  Really lady? 

Also, with a tablet, most of time, you CAN prove that it is yours, because you registered it, right?  So, if they are acting like her DD took it, I would go to the police and find out what can be done.  You have reasonable suspicion that she took it, since she was in your home and it was there before she arrived and was not there after she left. 

opal10161973
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I forget all the time, too.  And I work in Tech, I should know better.  However, if you made the tablet scream and couldn't find it, then it is obviously not in your home any longer or the battery is dead.  If it's turned off, it won't make the noise right?  Maybe she just turned it off or maybe she gave it to someone or sold it?  IDK  I would also consider calling the company of that software and asking what you can do to locate it?  Maybe there is more than what you are doing and they can help you.  It's worth a shot. 

My DS was no longer friends with that kid after that, BTW.  Worst part?  It was our neighbors and we lived in a duplex and shared a wall.  Douchebag Mom.  UGH   A week later, I saw her coming home from the store and she had a cheap beer for herself, which is no big deal, if she wasn't hugely pregnant.  SMH  Back then, there were no studies showing that it was OK, only ones showing that it wasn't.  She didn't give a shit.  Mom of the year winner right there. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Sadly I didn't. (register it) It was somewhat new and I never did get around to it. However great advice to ask in front of the mom. I was going to ask the girl but your right, Mom may know something. I just hope Moms morals are better than that of your son's friend. You can know someone but you never really know what they are capable of. 

Quoting opal10161973:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 18, 2013 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Another great idea, Im really glad I posted, your full of good idea's!

Quoting opal10161973:

I forget all the time, too.  And I work in Tech, I should know better.  However, if you made the tablet scream and couldn't find it, then it is obviously not in your home any longer or the battery is dead.  If it's turned off, it won't make the noise right?  Maybe she just turned it off or maybe she gave it to someone or sold it?  IDK  I would also consider calling the company of that software and asking what you can do to locate it?  Maybe there is more than what you are doing and they can help you.  It's worth a shot. 

My DS was no longer friends with that kid after that, BTW.  Worst part?  It was our neighbors and we lived in a duplex and shared a wall.  Douchebag Mom.  UGH   A week later, I saw her coming home from the store and she had a cheap beer for herself, which is no big deal, if she wasn't hugely pregnant.  SMH  Back then, there were no studies showing that it was OK, only ones showing that it wasn't.  She didn't give a shit.  Mom of the year winner right there. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting opal10161973:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN