Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Doctors Could Soon Cure Down's Syndrome -- But Should They?

Posted by   + Show Post

Doctors Could Soon Cure Down's Syndrome -- But Should They?

by Adriana Velez

babies downs syndromeWhat if doctors could "cure" Down's syndrome? It's a possibility that's just on the horizon. Imagine that you go in for a prenatal test and find out that your unborn baby will have Down's syndrome. Your OBGYN performs a procedure, maybe before birth, or maybe after, and presto -- no Down's syndrome after all. Your doctor could actually turn off Down's syndrome. What do you think?

Down's syndrome is caused by an extra copy of Chromosome 21. Researchers are working on manipulating genes to silence that extra chromosome and thus prevent the symptoms of Down's syndrome from appearing. This is something researchers are doing now and that doctors may be able to do in the future ... but should we?

This reminds me of that controversial bus ad suggesting we "wipe out autism." Are conditions like autism and Down's syndrome really something we want to wipe out -- or are they differences we should embrace? If we can stop people from having the symptoms of Down's syndrome, what other conditions will we start trying to erase?

Talk to any parent of a child with Down's syndrome and they will tell you about their struggles. I'm not saying it's a picnic for anyone. But they will also tell you about the joy that comes from sharing your life with a child with Down's syndrome. It's not a curse. It's much more complicated than that. There are particular things we learn and experience for having people who are different among us. They bring value to our world. 

I understand why researchers would want to prevent medical conditions and illnesses that make our lives difficult. But sometimes I have to wonder -- do we really need to change people with Down's syndrome, autism, etc., or do we need to change how we see them?

Do you think it's a good idea to try to "cure" Down's syndrome?

by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Replies (21-30):
cleigh717
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:15 PM
I cudnt have said it betr myself! playing god is quite relative and debatable. I know if someone didnt play god on my mother I would have been orphaned at 9 yrs old. thanks to science she is now receiving a second lung transplant and no she never smoked. things happen and im sure bc of science there r a lot of ppl who share my story. if u can cure it why not? its not saying that its a travesty or an ill to society. we obviously r winning the fight against natural selection. if we could make our lives easier for future generations why not. im sorry I just dont see any cons to this. but I do understand that all children r blessings. its not about the joys of parenting a downs syndrome child. its about the child becoming a productive membr of society. no adult who got the procedure would regret their parents decision to make them an independent person. but like all things too good to be true, im sure there r consequences to this. I womder what the side effects will be. . .

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting GwenMB:

No, I don't think we should be messing with our genes or chromosomes like that. For one, we don't know the unintended consequences that may arise. I think we need to change how we see Down syndrome etc people. I also think we are "playing God" when we try to do this.

But aren't we playing God when we do a heart transplant, keep someone on life support with machines until they heal, or even take a pill? It isn't so much how WE see them, it is a matter of improving the quality of their lives. I am the earthy crunchy type. I don't like medication, GMOs, and many other scientific things that are supposedly good for us but really aren't. I do have to admit though that science has done equally wonderful things. We don't know the effects down the line, however, they don't know the effects of most things passed quickly through the FDA today.

amy1will
by Amethyst on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:16 PM
I agree. It make me so sad to see so many women abort these precious children. I could never do that. Even if we would of known before we had our son we still would of had him. He is perfect and we see bothing wrong with him. We are due any day now with baby #3 and if he would of had Down Syndrome it wouldbt of mattered to us. We would love him just the same.

Quoting GwenMB:

Quoting amy1will:

No!!! This is playing God and shouldn't be done. I have a son with Down Syndrome and wouldn't change him for anything. Also doing this could cause a miscarriage or could make the baby have even more issues then just Down Syndrome. I understand some people wouldn't want a child with disability but some people actually don't see this as a problem ans will love that child no matter what.

It amazes me how many people want to change something just because its not easy to have a child with Downs Syndrome.  But then, it also amazes me how many women will abort a baby for having Downs Syndrome.  They are also joys to be around and we'd all be better off if we all had their outlook on life.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting GwenMB:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting GwenMB:

No, I don't think we should be messing with our genes or chromosomes like that. For one, we don't know the unintended consequences that may arise. I think we need to change how we see Down syndrome etc people. I also think we are "playing God" when we try to do this.

But aren't we playing God when we do a heart transplant, keep someone on life support with machines until they heal, or even take a pill? It isn't so much how WE see them, it is a matter of improving the quality of their lives. I am the earthy crunchy type. I don't like medication, GMOs, and many other scientific things that are supposedly good for us but really aren't. I do have to admit though that science has done equally wonderful things. We don't know the effects down the line, however, they don't know the effects of most things passed quickly through the FDA today.

Doing a heart transplant isn't changing the basic nature of a person, its using knowledge given to us from God to save lives.  Changing the chromosone on someone is changing the basic nature of their personality, changing the core of their being.  It's changing how God made them.

If things are being passed through the FDA too quickly (and I often read the opposite complaint as well), adding one more item to the list of things we do without knowing the long term effects isn't the answer.

I won't pretend I wouldn't be scared/worried/upset if I knew I was having a baby with Downs Syndrome (or autism or anything else that's a challenge), but I also know that God has made that baby/child that way for a reason.  I would do my best to rise to the challenge of raising that child & pray that they just experience acceptance for who they are.

So if a child is born with a faulty heart, God didn't actually mean for it to be that way, so we can fix it, but if a child hasDown's syndrome, he did, and we are not allowed to improve their life too? Sorry, I don't understand that mentality.  

amy1will
by Amethyst on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I do have a child with Down Syndrome. He is a normal 6yr old. He is perfect and loving. Hes got the biggest heart in the world.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting GwenMB:

Quoting amy1will:

No!!! This is playing God and shouldn't be done. I have a son with Down Syndrome and wouldn't change him for anything. Also doing this could cause a miscarriage or could make the baby have even more issues then just Down Syndrome. I understand some people wouldn't want a child with disability but some people actually don't see this as a problem ans will love that child no matter what.

It amazes me how many people want to change something just because its not easy to have a child with Downs Syndrome.  But then, it also amazes me how many women will abort a baby for having Downs Syndrome.  They are also joys to be around and we'd all be better off if we all had their outlook on life.

Do you have a child with Down Syndrome? You seem to have a stereotypical idea of what people with Down's syndrome are like.

GwenMB
by Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting GwenMB:

Quoting amy1will:

Do you have a child with Down Syndrome? You seem to have a stereotypical idea of what people with Down's syndrome are like.

I do not, I did, however, grow up with a friend who had Downs Syndrome & know other people with Downs Syndrome. But I'm not discussing this further with someone hiding behind the Anonymous tag.

babie113
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:21 PM

yes i would cure it if i had a baby with that problem

GwenMB
by Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting GwenMB:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting GwenMB:

Doing a heart transplant isn't changing the basic nature of a person, its using knowledge given to us from God to save lives.  Changing the chromosone on someone is changing the basic nature of their personality, changing the core of their being.  It's changing how God made them.

If things are being passed through the FDA too quickly (and I often read the opposite complaint as well), adding one more item to the list of things we do without knowing the long term effects isn't the answer.

I won't pretend I wouldn't be scared/worried/upset if I knew I was having a baby with Downs Syndrome (or autism or anything else that's a challenge), but I also know that God has made that baby/child that way for a reason.  I would do my best to rise to the challenge of raising that child & pray that they just experience acceptance for who they are.

So if a child is born with a faulty heart, God didn't actually mean for it to be that way, so we can fix it, but if a child hasDown's syndrome, he did, and we are not allowed to improve their life too? Sorry, I don't understand that mentality.  

Fixing a faulty heart doesn't change a person's personality.  Changing whether or not they have Downs Syndrome does.

Why hide behind the Anonymous tag?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:25 PM

That is wonderful but not every child with Down's syndrome is as fortunate. I wrote about my niece on the first page. I worked with a young man named Ben that had Down's. I loved him dearly, but he was non verbal and would sit on the floor rocking and hitting himself in the face until he bled if I didn't put padded mitts on him. Even then, he did damage to himself. He had the body of a man and the mind of an infant. Ever change a diaper on an 18 year old? Not fun. His parents love him very much but he is a huge amount of work and it wears on them, and him.

Quoting amy1will:

I do have a child with Down Syndrome. He is a normal 6yr old. He is perfect and loving. Hes got the biggest heart in the world.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting GwenMB:

Quoting amy1will:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Quoting GwenMB:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting GwenMB:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting GwenMB:

Fixing a faulty heart doesn't change a person's personality.  Changing whether or not they have Downs Syndrome does.

Because I wrote personal things about my sister's child. I am not "hiding" Good grief.  Why do you need to know who I am?

ShannyLouisiany
by Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:28 PM
bizarre that personality is the crux of your stance. quality of life is more than a cheery personality. good grief.

Quoting GwenMB:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting GwenMB:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting GwenMB:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN