Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WTF, why did Obama have a news conference

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies
About Trayvon Martin. I am gonna puke. Stay out of this.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I wasnt home today but yes I am a bit shocked.What did he have to say?

johnny4ever
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Watching recap now...If Obama was white he never would of said a thing.

nelliesmommy
by Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:35 PM
He does need to stay out of it. It's over and done with.
chirpymama87
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:47 PM
2 moms liked this
He's adding fuel to the fire, racially.
He has yet to speak about the 400+ shootings AND deaths of the small INNOCENT children in his "hometown" of Chicago last year or the rise in black on white crime and even visa versa in big cities.

You know what? Who cares. Done.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:04 PM
2 moms liked this

I was by the television when he came out.  He was not scheduled to speak, but he apparently felt compelled to.  His speech as far as I heard consisted of giving support to the Martin family, then recalling or attempting to remind the country of all the ways that young black men are held with either contempt or suspicion by the public.  

While I do not take issue with that reality feel compelled to point out that  Mr Zimmerman is as Hispanic as Obama is Black (i.e. Obama has a white mother, and Zimmerman has a Peruvian mother.  They are both half white.)  As a Hispanic mother whose DH is white, I have 2 'white hispanic' sons.  These young men, along with my brothers and nephews (and GZ I might add) have been subject to the same experience of contempt and suspicion because they are minority young men.  My son was once stopped while walking to work, sat in a police car and had his license run just because......  My nephew was almost arrested walking to his car in a movie theater parking lot with his blonde girlfriend.  The only thing that stopped his arrest was when his girlfriend's father came out and talked to the officer to let them know that he knew my nephew and she had permission to be out with him.  These ar just a few of the indignities suffered by young Hispanic men in MY own family.  Are these less than those suffered by black men?  

I do not want to make this a tit for tat situation.  The case has been settled, the Zimmerman family and their experience is being brushed aside.  They have been subject to death threats and are watching their every move.  Are they not entitled to any consideration from the president?  They are also victims and American citizens.

onethentwins
by Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I don't know, I think it was a mistake.

pittymama
by Holly on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:08 PM

i missed it 

MomTiara19
by Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel it needed to be addressed.This is all anyone seems to talk about or write about even on CM.There will be about 100 protests and rallies throughout the country tomorow.I believe Obama addressed the AA community to help keep protests peaceful.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:19 PM
He fueled the fire more to me. It is like he was saying the verdict was wrong. There was reasonable doubt. The verdict was right. It was like he was saying it was wrong.

Quoting MomTiara19:

I feel it needed to be addressed.This is all anyone seems to talk about or write about even on CM.There will be about 160 protests and rallies throughout the country tomorow.I believe Obama addressed the AA community to help keep protests peaceful.

MomTiara19
by Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

He fueled the fire more to me. It is like he was saying the verdict was wrong. There was reasonable doubt. The verdict was right. It was like he was saying it was wrong.

Quoting MomTiara19:

I feel it needed to be addressed.This is all anyone seems to talk about or write about even on CM.There will be about 160 protests and rallies throughout the country tomorow.I believe Obama addressed the AA community to help keep protests peaceful.

I understand your point.

Yet if you watch Obamas speech the message was not about legalities.The speech was more about addressing and calming racial tensions.

The legal system has spoken.Yet there are many who feel Zimmerman was extremely negligent in Trayvons death,and that Trayvon also had a right to walk the street and stand his ground.

Despite race...Zimmerman should not have taken the law into his own hands.We need to look into stalking laws,protocals for neighborhood watchmen,uniforms,training,badges,and gun laws.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)