Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

how r u teaching your kids to not b racist?

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:44 AM
  • 47 Replies
1 mom liked this
I know racism will more than likely never go away but when it comes to my kids i want to raise them to not see color at all, only people. I am white and so r my kids. My cousin has 2 biracial kids, who my kids have never met cuz we live n different states but they've seen pictures and know they r their cousins. Whenever i am trying to describe someone i will use any description except the color of their skin. I'll mention hair color but that's as far as i go. My step niece has a black fiance and he is the sweetest guy so i don't get why people judge on only color.
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GOBryan
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:47 AM
2 moms liked this

Why does it even have to be discussed if it's not even breached? The more a focus is placed on this, the greater the separation of races and nationalities. I never mentioned it to my daughter, who's now 20, unless a comment came up that I didn't like. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Mine just never were. Dd 22's first friend ever was African American. She was 3. Most of her middle school friends were AA or hispanic. Moving all over and in Europe make for more well rounded kids anyway.
I agree with the PP also.
momofthem311
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:58 AM
We aren't racist so it's not an issue with our kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I guess I just teach by example. I've never honestly talked to my kids about this as it's never come up. we treat everyone the same, with kindness.

delilahsmom1177
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:56 AM

My DD asked the other day if everyone in our family was white. I said no my uncle is hispanic, my cousins DF is black, my BFF's kids are 1/2 black. 

I'm tattooed,pagan,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is but still teaching her important life lessons,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Never had a reason to.

jujubear1
by Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:13 PM
I don't. Sometimes she will have questions about the way things used to be, but when I explain she says something along the lines of that's stupid to judge or treat someone so badly because of their skin color or race.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:15 PM
I taught the everyone is different. Some people have light skin some dark. Some have brown hair some have red. Some are in wheelchairs some aren't. I taught that differences are OK.
IWantOneMorePlz
by Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I tell my children that it doesn't matter what someone looks like, it is how they act.  I tell them that if everyone looked the same, it would look boring.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:31 PM
My kids are mixed...we don't discuss racism at all really..
The only group of people I talk bad about to my kids are illegals...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN