Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Actress Rae Dawn Chong Uses N-Word in Ruthless Attack Against Oprah

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:38 AM
  • 10 Replies

Actress Rae Dawn Chong Uses N-Word in Ruthless Attack Against Oprah

by Ericka Sóuter

oprahRemember actress Rae Dawn Chong? Probably not. She was an "it" girl of the '80s who completely faded into obscurity. Well, she's making headlines again and it's not for her acting. She has lashed out at Oprah Winfrey, her Color Purple co-star. The scathing attack seems to have come out of nowhere during a sit-down on a Canada-based Internet radio show. Chong, who is a mix of Chinese, European, and Afro-Canadian, says that Oprah would be a "field n*gger" had she lived before the emancipation of slaves. Read on, it gets worse.

"If you look at the way [Oprah] looks, she looks like 60 years ago, she would have been a housekeeper luckily. She would have not been a house n**ger, she would have been a field n**ger," she ranted.

She claims that she and Oprah had a good relationship during filming, but things went sour afterwards. Invited to be a guest on her talk show, Chong claims she was treated rudely, was put up in a crappy hotel, and that Oprah was competitive with her. "Oprah is all about Oprah," she said, before adding that she "brown-nosed" her way to the top.

Though, the lowest blow was about weight: "When we worked with her, she was the fat chick, the wannabe cheerleader in school that was the student council president, that was best friends with the principal ... the volunteer nurse. She was the fat chick in school that did everything so everybody loved her. That's Oprah. Love me, love me, love me."

Ouch. She certainly knows how to hit where it hurts. We all know Oprah has had an ongoing battle with her body image for decades. I should note, Chong did throw a few compliments in there about Oprah paving the way for other blacks in media. However, that did little to soothe the sting of the other comments. I am not sure if this is a cry for attention or a cry for help. What I do know is that it's ridiculous and totally uncalled for.

What do you think of Rae Dawn Chong's rant against Oprah?

by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrswillie
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:39 PM

wow

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Full disclosure, I am not a fan of  Oprah.  I watched her show many years ago, before she became what she is today.  I am not talking about her getting rich, I am talking about before she strayed from her Christian roots and jumped into the new age movement.

I heard the whole interview (it was sent to me via a link on facebook from a friend).  Ms Chong was relaying her relationship with O as is evolved from the time she shared space while filming "The Color Purple" to today.  In it Ms Chong describes that the relationship is not ongoing, and that their careers took different paths.  She is also saying that when their paths met again O had no use for RDC, and RDC goes on to give her own opinion of who O is and how she works.

Admittedly, RDC had not had the same stellar career that O has.  There may be an element of envy in her comments.  I think more important than the jealously aspect is that RDC gave an HONEST assessment of the O that most people will never know.  She pointed out a personality trait that many successful people have, that of always finding the  most important person in the room and  cultivating friendships with that person above all others.  That shows 2 things about her.  first, she has no use for the common person other than convincing them that she they NEED HER, that she has something that will be beneficial to them.  Second it shows that she is always reaching for the next rung on the ladder.  Neither  of these things is necessary BAD.  We shold all be trying our best to do better always.  

She also ends her interview by extolling O's virtue as a woman who has 'changed the DNA of the universe'.  

I will disagree on one of her cmments, the one that says that O would not even be a house N, I think that with O's personality, no matter where she was she would make her way to the top of the food chain.  If she had been a housekeeper, she would have made hew way to owning the housekeeping service. People who have the personaliy traits that O  has always have and always will end up at the top.  

happinessforyou
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, as long as it isn't a "white" girl calling Oprah the "N" word......

goddess99
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:59 PM

wow jealousy is ugly.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 22, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Who cares.  Not everybody likes Oprah.

jlmc
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:24 PM

I think this story has not been as popular as paula deans for some reason

pittymama
by Holly on Jul. 23, 2013 at 12:17 AM

i don't care about the rant either way, but the first time i read it made me giggle a little. sorry

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 23, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Did she use 'er' or 'a'? Supposedly that makes all the difference.
CinnamonBunns84
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 2:16 PM

bad 

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 23, 2013 at 2:21 PM
I don't like it either. It's what I've read in the last few days in here. It's a disgusting word no matter who says it or how they say it.

Quoting CinnamonBunns84:

bad 

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)