Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

medical wwyd (you were warned)

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:23 PM
  • 16 Replies

I have a sixth month old and I noticed earlier that his soft spot has a sort of brownish tint, like a light freckle. Something that I think is abnormal and is really bothering me. 

I washed it gently, its not dirt unless its stubborn dirt. 

He's acting perfectly normal. Appetite is good, he had one nap, then woke up chipper and is going back and forth between eating and playing. Vision and hearing seem normal. Coordination is still good. 

Annnnnnd we're "between" pediatricians. Meaning there isnt one I can call and talk to. Triage at ER cant legally tell me anything, not even whether we should come or not. Would you take your baby to the ER? I hate to put him through that but I keep thinking what if????

by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
activitymode
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:24 PM
2 moms liked this
take him to a pediatrician. it's not er worthy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lulu_tattoos
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Quoting activitymode:

take him to a pediatrician. it's not er worthy.

I guess I kind of know that but I have that little voice nagging me saying "what if it's serious, this is his head, What if its time sensitive, what if what if what if??" kwim?

I wish we could just call an on call pedi. . . Or at least find something by googling but I could find ANYTHING :( So there's nothing out there to freak me out but nothing to make me feel better either.  

lulu_tattoos
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:29 PM

And if I DID take him to an ER and he picked up some sort of illness there I'd feel so bad. But not as bad as if he has something wrong and I'm blowing it off. 

pittymama
by Holly on Jul. 23, 2013 at 12:19 AM

what do you THINK is wrong? any ideas at all? that sounds really.... odd. not worth an ER visit to me, maybe a cheap/low cost urgent care in the AM?

lulu_tattoos
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 12:23 AM

I thought it was dirt, honestly. figured I had been a bit TOO gentle with the fontanelle and that it was just dirty there. but we got home and I washed it and no change. Ive decided not to ER, he's not showing any signs whatsoever of not feeling well or anything at all being wrong or even slightly different.  Going to call the health dept tomorrow because they do same day appointments. I'm baffled. 

Quoting pittymama:

what do you THINK is wrong? any ideas at all? that sounds really.... odd. not worth an ER visit to me, maybe a cheap/low cost urgent care in the AM?

pittymama
by Holly on Jul. 23, 2013 at 12:25 AM

could it be the start of a freckle? my DD started getting her freckles around 7-8 months old. never on her head though.. idk.

Quoting lulu_tattoos:

I thought it was dirt, honestly. figured I had been a bit TOO gentle with the fontanelle and that it was just dirty there. but we got home and I washed it and no change. Ive decided not to ER, he's not showing any signs whatsoever of not feeling well or anything at all being wrong or even slightly different.  Going to call the health dept tomorrow because they do same day appointments. I'm baffled. 

Quoting pittymama:

SissyAnn141
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 4:24 AM

Please make sure to update, honey ♥♥♥♥ 

Quoting pittymama:

could it be the start of a freckle? my DD started getting her freckles around 7-8 months old. never on her head though.. idk.

Quoting lulu_tattoos:

Quoting pittymama:

notadramamama
by New Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 7:00 AM

I wouldn't do the ER, what about a walk in clinic if you don't have a pediatrician?  They could let you know if it was anything to be concerned about and where to follow up and it would be cheaper.

dingysfamily
by Suzi on Jul. 23, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Could it possibly be a birthmark?  I would be going to a pediatrician; this is a good excuse to try out a new one.  Who knows, you may end up liking the one you go to.

mouthymandy
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 10:14 AM

A stand-alone urgent care clinic is an option......

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)