Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parents Begging Other People to Pay for Their Kid's College Are Tacky

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:32 AM
  • 21 Replies

Parents Begging Other People to Pay for Their Kid's College Are Tacky

by Jeanne Sager

saving moneyI'm not going to lie. I try not to think about sending my kid to college. It's not just that I'll have to face empty nesting and the end of her childhood and all that mushy gushy stuff that makes mothers weep into their Ben & Jerry's. I'm not ready for the financial hit of college tuition.

I know I will have to get creative to pay for college. But there's at least one new parenting trend I just can't get behind. Crowd-funding your kid's ride to the school of their choice is just a little too tacky for me.

You've heard of crowd-funding, haven't you? It's becoming a popular way to raise money for just about everything these days -- from helping a bullied bus monitor get the money she needs to escape the nasty brats at work to giving a reality star the funds she needs to pursue her dreams as a pageant girl.

All you need to do is write up your plea, upload it to one of the (growing number of) crowd-funding sites on the Internet, and wait for big-hearted people to give you their money.

It's not the worst way to raise money. I've been known to donate a time or two on sites like these, usually for sick kids whose families are struggling with bills.

But a sick kid surprises a family.

College doesn't. So the "sudden" need to reach out to the world to help pay for your child's education is a bit disingenuous.

Most of us hope from birth that our kids will one day go to college. For many American kids, there is no other option. The children are told, "You WILL go to college, no ifs, ands, or buts about it."

That means you have 18 years -- give or take -- to save for college. If you don't do that, well, that's on you! It's not up to the rest of us to fund your kid's college dreams. As the old saying goes, "Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency."

It isn't just the lack of class that bothers me here, quite frankly. It's the message you're sending to your kids.

Throwing up a website and saying "gimme all your money" tells our kids that it's OK not to plan, that they should expect people to pick them up when they fall.

Sometimes there are nice people who will do that. But more often than not, there aren't. Life doesn't work that way.

Life is about planning. It's about working hard to get what you want, not resting on your laurels and expecting it to come to you.

Still thinking about crowd-funding your kid's tuition? You might want to look at loans instead.

Would you donate to a college tuition site or do you think it's tacky for parents to ask?

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
STVUstudent
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I first heard about crowd funding just the other day, when someone posted about donating on a site and then being verbally attacked by the recipient... so I went and checked it out... all I can say is, oh my...

I would not donate to such a site, and I do think it is tacky.  I have been putting money away for my kids' college since they were born.  I am not paying to send someone else's kid to college.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Tacky as hell. Start saving when they are born. Go to community college and work some to pay for first 2 years. Go part time and work full time. There are many ways to pay.
LDavis33
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Tacky.  It doesn't really surprise me that this is happening though.  

jlmc
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I don't think it's tacky. But, no, I wouldnt donate. Colleges don't make it difficult to pay. They go off of the parents income in order to come up with payment plans and such. I trust the college guidelines and if the parents cant afford the monthly dues then maybe they need to reevaluate their priorities. I know it is hard to save throughout the years but if you think that little of your kids and cant put away a little every month then that is sad. Also, kids working while attending college is not unheard of. I had to do it, it is not ideal but it teaches responsibility.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this
They have to go off parents income. Govt is broke. They give a lot of aid as it is. Govt can't foot the bill for all kids college. Parents need to start saving when kids are born. We did and scrimped to do it. Yes kids need to work and live at home or go part time and work. Lots of options.

Quoting jlmc:

I don't think it's tacky. But, no, I wouldnt donate. Colleges don't make it difficult to pay. They go off of the parents income in order to come up with payment plans and such. I trust the college guidelines and if the parents cant afford the monthly dues then maybe they need to reevaluate their priorities. I know it is hard to save throughout the years but if you think that little of your kids and cant put away a little every month then that is sad. Also, kids working while attending college is not unheard of. I had to do it, it is not ideal but it teaches responsibility.

JTROX
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this

It's better to ask for help to send them to college, as opposed to teaching them how to live off of welfare.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I wouldn't donate to any of those site at all.  How do I know that it's legit?

happinessforyou
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:47 AM

How is someone expecting the general public to pay for their kid's college tuition any different than people expecting the general public to pay for their housing, FS, WIC, utilities, etc..etc.. ?????

Quite frankly, I'd rather help a young adult through college than pay for everyone's babies and diapers and formula..... At least with an education, the cycle might be broken. Seems like a much better investment IMO.

lilblu399
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:53 AM
I don't think it's tacky, I have 2 kids, 5 and 2 and no we haven't started saving for college, we are both in our mid 20's and saving for retirement is our focus. Honestly I don't expect my children to go to college, travel abroad, trade school I would suggest after high school graduation. Nobody is forcing them to donate, it seems like an easier process than applying for grants.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SpiritFortress
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't donate to a college tuition site. I think this country should offer free secondary education like the many other countries in the world offers. But that's a whole different topic. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)