• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Things you say to your kids..

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
That other people wouldn't??

When dd was about 3 or 4 and she was in the habit of running ahead of me, I pulled her aside and told her why it was not ok. I told her that there were bad people and someone might try and take her. Yes, for real. It's true. And she sticks close now.

Anyone else told their kids something other parent's wouldn't agree with?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jlmc
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Not sure if anyone remembers the Sandy hook shooting in CT but everyone at my daughters school was talking about it, she is only 5. So I explained to her what happened. I had to, I didnt want her hearing all these different stories and not getting it right. But we were in the store the next day and she saw the story on a mag cover and said "mom, is that the kids who died". Everyone in line judged me. But I stand by my decision. I dont make a habit of telling her sad stories about the world but I have.

whatmynameagain
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:37 AM
When our fish diedI explained to my 6, 1 annd 3 yr old the fish died and went to Heaven. Then a few weeks later my in laws were visiting and they stay with us. My fil was sleeping and my son, who still doesn't grasp what dead is bc he's still young yet, looks inI the roomkids at him andsays matter of factly " mommy, grandpa died" I felt my mil look at me funny but she knows we just lost the fish. I didn't like to tell my kids about death, but dh and i both felt they are old enough to learn what happened to the fish in their level.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:39 AM

that's funny, but also that conversation is really needed these days =/.  i used to tell them the kid police would take them to kid jail if they're bad.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Dd is 5 too. And her TEACHERS told her about it. She came home asking and I answered her questions. I think you did the right thing.

Quoting jlmc:

Not sure if anyone remembers the Sandy hook shooting in CT but everyone at my daughters school was talking about it, she is only 5. So I explained to her what happened. I had to, I didnt want her hearing all these different stories and not getting it right. But we were in the store the next day and she saw the story on a mag cover and said "mom, is that the kids who died". Everyone in line judged me. But I stand by my decision. I dont make a habit of telling her sad stories about the world but I have.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Yeah. I don't agree with hiding death and other Things thay are apart of life.

Quoting whatmynameagain:

When our fish diedI explained to my 6, 1 annd 3 yr old the fish died and went to Heaven. Then a few weeks later my in laws were visiting and they stay with us. My fil was sleeping and my son, who still doesn't grasp what dead is bc he's still young yet, looks inI the roomkids at him andsays matter of factly " mommy, grandpa died" I felt my mil look at me funny but she knows we just lost the fish. I didn't like to tell my kids about death, but dh and i both felt they are old enough to learn what happened to the fish in their level.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Yes. It is.
Haha. My Aunt used to tell my cousin that.

Quoting Anonymous:

that's funny, but also that conversation is really needed these days =/.  i used to tell them the kid police would take them to kid jail if they're bad.

jlmc
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Whoa! Her teachers?! Mine heard it from her "grader" friends and I am not sure if they teachers said anything or not.

Quoting Anonymous:

Dd is 5 too. And her TEACHERS told her about it. She came home asking and I answered her questions. I think you did the right thing.

Quoting jlmc:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:41 AM

I'm going to bust  your ass if you don't quit doing what  you are doing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:19 AM

I have a child with type one diabetes and I ask him if he is high sometimes with out thinking. What I mean to ask him is if his blood sugar high but I forget that I am in public and ask him if he is high. Or I might say you need a shot. Meaning you need an injection of insulin. The looks I get from people when I say things like that. 

My son's lost their dad when they were young 6 and under. I wanted them to know from me and not from over hearing the adults talking. It was so hard to do that but I did not want to lie to them. A Friend of mine lost her mom when she was 7 and heard the adults talking about it. I always remembered the story and how she said she felt at the time. People don't think children can handle things and yes it is true they can not deal with it like an adult but they need and have the right to know things and not just hear something when people are talking around them. Children are people and they deserve respect. Two weeks after his dad died the 6 year old came into my room crying that he did not remember what his dad looked like anymore. It broke my heart. I cried with him and when he was done I reminded him that we have pictures of his dad and I am sorry that he is not here anymore. 

Connorsmommy13
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jlmc:

I live in BC Canada and the principal sent this huge letter home telling parents to shelter our kids from it and not talk about it, dont watch it on tv and so on...my son heard about it and asked..I told him the truth he turned to me with such a sad look "oh mom all those parents that bought presents for their kids" (since it was around christmas) He also asked it thats why they had code black drills (intruder in the school) I said "yes"

A lot of people judged me that I was suppose to not let my kid know of the evils...sorry people the world is a aweful place was my responce.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)