Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

SAHM vs WM from the adult kids perspective

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 50 Replies
My BFF and I had two completely different moms.

Her mom was a pretty much a SAHM. She did clean houses for extra money, but she didn't have a traditional job. She was able to be very involved with the school. She was PTA president; went on all the field trips; volunteered for pretty much everything. My BFF never had to stay at a baby sitter and never had to ride the bus.

My mom on the other hand worked. While she was my Girl Scout leader for a short time. She was only off one day a week. She attended maybe 1 PTA meeting the whole time I was in school. I had to stay with a baby sitter and then stay by myself when I got older. I had to ride the bus, and if I was sick I had to go to work with my dad.

As I got older the freedom of coming home to an empty house got me into trouble.

While both my BFF and I love our mothers and don't have any regrets from our childhoods we both want to do things differently.

My BFF is going to go back to work once her baby starts school. She says that she hated how involved her mom was with the school. She hated that her mom was always at the school and always home when she was home. She also was embarrassed that her mom cleaned other a people's houses for a living. She also told me she doesn't want to be like her mom, because now that she is grown and her mom is older, she has nothing to really do as is getting too old to clean houses.

I on the other hand, don't want my kids to be latch key kids. I don't want to work a 9-5 job like my mom.

I find it a little ironic that my BFF and I both feel our moms did it wrong and now that we are parents ourselves want to do things differently.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM
B
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:08 AM
U
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:10 AM
M
dolphingurl1286
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:11 AM
My childhood was like yours. Except my mom was single. So if I were sick she had to miss work or.send me to my grandma. I very much want.to be a sahm and be as involved in the school as i can. My mom didn't do anything for school unless it was mandatory.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:12 AM
P
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:14 AM
5 moms liked this

There's a happy medium you know. BTW, the SAHM's that "live" at the school in the name of volunteering, are seriously annoying to everyone not just their kids.

LuLuThatsWho
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:14 AM

My mom worked full-time, part-time, and was a SAHM, so I understand what it is like to grow up with any of the three.  Things were definitely the best when she was at home.

I worked full-time or part-time my first four years of motherhood.  I've been staying home for 8 months, and as hard as it is, it is clear that it is best for my family.

**LuLu**

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Megan11587
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

My mom worked fulltime on the weekends.  Fri-Sunday 7pm-7am.  We always had a parent home with us and they both worked fulltime.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:16 AM

That's interesting.  There is a tremendous amount of parent involvement at our school.  Most of the moms are there a lot of the time.  There's a very small percentage of people left to be annoyed! :)

Quoting Anonymous:

There's a happy medium you know. BTW, the SAHM's that "live" at the school in the name of volunteering, are seriously annoying to everyone not just their kids.

MesDennis20
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:17 AM

My mom was a working mom and it always really hurt me growing up she couldn't be more involved. My aunt was that super SAHM who was in pta and all  the school events and I always really envied my cousins.I'm a SAHM and plan on doing the opposite of my mom. I love her to pieces but growing up I was always heart broken when I'd be one of the few kids without a parent at their awards ceremonies, plays, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN