Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

bedwetting

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:52 PM
  • 29 Replies

Anyone else have a child that still wets the bed?  DD is 8 (almost 9!) and is still wet almost every night. We've tried all the usual things - waking her up, limiting fluids (and even giving her lots to drink just before bed) - nothing worked.  Her doctor's not concerned yet.

She still wears a diaper at night to keep the bed dry.  Fortunately she doesn't mind, and would rather wear a diaper than wash her bedding every day (she has that choice).  Does anyone else have a bedwetter still in diapers or pull-ups?

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
petie1104
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:55 PM
My dd, luckily stopped at 7. I did have a friend whose oldest dd and ds wet into puberty. They are now adults and have turned out amazingly well.

Edited to clarify that the amazing part isn't about the bed wetting, but both children (actually all 4 of them) were discipline issues so it is shocking to see how wonderful they are as adults.
eb415
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Quoting petie1104:

My dd, luckily stopped at 7. I did have a friend whose oldest dd and ds wet into puberty. They are now adults and have turned out amazingly well.

Edited to clarify that the amazing part isn't about the bed wetting, but both children (actually all 4 of them) were discipline issues so it is shocking to see how wonderful they are as adults.

Our doctor has said that it will most likely stop by puberty, which is why we aren't too concerned yet.  Wearing diapers doesn't bother her that much, but if it did we'd probably be more aggressive about trying to find a solution.

momofthem311
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:36 PM

A diaper? You know they make these things called Goodnights that are sort of like pull ups but for bigger kids who have this issue, or is that what you meant?

Anyway, our daughter, whos now 11 and would be mortified if she knew I was telling you this, had this issue till she was 8. It was very hard for her but she was ok with wearing the night time pants because she too did not want wet sheets every morning. We tried everything to "cure" the issue and nothing worked. No water before bed, going to the bathroom before bed, setting an alarm to wake her up various times during the night to pee, nothing worked. We even had her tested at the doctor and they found nothing wrong. Doctors best explained it that her bladder was just not mature yet and that she would grow out of it and she did. Actually I should tell you that one night while sleeping at a friends they discovered her night time pants and she called me horribly embarrassed and in tears wanting me to come get her. She said she didnt want to wear them anymore and she didnt and she has been fine since then. And you would not believe how many parents I have met over the years that have had the same issue with thier child. They will grow out if it I promise. Just dont make a big deal about it and I would suggest finding those Goodnights, way better than a diaper!

eb415
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:09 PM

We know about goodnites, but I meant diapers.  We used them until about a year ago, when they started leaking several times a week.  Pull-ups, underjams, and easy-ups leak too.  She's just a bit over 50lbs, so the largest size pampers still fit.  She's skinny, and I think the pampers work better because we can adjust them tighter than goodnites/pull-ups/etc.

We've tried all those things too - none of them worked for us either.  We've had some sleepovers at our house, and managed to keep the diaper hidden.  We also found out that one of her friends still wets the bed, so she's even been to a sleepover there.

So with your daughter she was wearing goodnites every night, and wetting them every night, but she just stopped when she stopped wearing them?  We've tried going without diapers a couple times, but it doesn't seem to make a difference...

Quoting momofthem311:

A diaper? You know they make these things called Goodnights that are sort of like pull ups but for bigger kids who have this issue, or is that what you meant?

Anyway, our daughter, whos now 11 and would be mortified if she knew I was telling you this, had this issue till she was 8. It was very hard for her but she was ok with wearing the night time pants because she too did not want wet sheets every morning. We tried everything to "cure" the issue and nothing worked. No water before bed, going to the bathroom before bed, setting an alarm to wake her up various times during the night to pee, nothing worked. We even had her tested at the doctor and they found nothing wrong. Doctors best explained it that her bladder was just not mature yet and that she would grow out of it and she did. Actually I should tell you that one night while sleeping at a friends they discovered her night time pants and she called me horribly embarrassed and in tears wanting me to come get her. She said she didnt want to wear them anymore and she didnt and she has been fine since then. And you would not believe how many parents I have met over the years that have had the same issue with thier child. They will grow out if it I promise. Just dont make a big deal about it and I would suggest finding those Goodnights, way better than a diaper!

momofthem311
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:23 PM

To be honest I really cannot remember if it was that night she stopped or very soon after but either way it was right around that time. And yes, she was wearing them every night and I'd say wetting them just about every night, probably 98% of the time. I know its hard but she will grow out of it. Does she talk to you about it?

Quoting eb415:

We know about goodnites, but I meant diapers.  We used them until about a year ago, when they started leaking several times a week.  Pull-ups, underjams, and easy-ups leak too.  She's just a bit over 50lbs, so the largest size pampers still fit.  She's skinny, and I think the pampers work better because we can adjust them tighter than goodnites/pull-ups/etc.

We've tried all those things too - none of them worked for us either.  We've had some sleepovers at our house, and managed to keep the diaper hidden.  We also found out that one of her friends still wets the bed, so she's even been to a sleepover there.

So with your daughter she was wearing goodnites every night, and wetting them every night, but she just stopped when she stopped wearing them?  We've tried going without diapers a couple times, but it doesn't seem to make a difference...

Quoting momofthem311:

eb415
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:34 PM

That's interesting that it stopped quickly after she stopped wearing them.  We've tried going without diapers occassionally to see if that would make a difference, but it doesn't seem to for us.  She's just a really deep sleeper.

We talk about it - why?  Wearing diapers doesn't bother her that much, and sometimes it seems like she likes wearing them.  I can't really blame her, since it's better than waking up in a wet bed.  She never fights us about putting one on.  And we remind her that she'll grow out of it eventually when she gets discouraged about it, but that doesn't happen too often.

Quoting momofthem311:

To be honest I really cannot remember if it was that night she stopped or very soon after but either way it was right around that time. And yes, she was wearing them every night and I'd say wetting them just about every night, probably 98% of the time. I know its hard but she will grow out of it. Does she talk to you about it?

Quoting eb415:

Quoting momofthem311:

chcon
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:42 PM
My five year old son still has this issue. My pediatrician recommended waking him up about an hour after he goes to sleep and make sure he is awake (wash hands, etc, to be sure) and then again wake him up around 5 am ish (about an hour before he will be up)- and repeat this for seven weeks or so.

I have been waking him up about an hour after I think he's asleep but not the 5 am one. One night recently I forgot (as I sometimes do) and he did get up himself about an hour later than I would have taken him. I was pleasantly surprised. I will continue with the waking up after an hour for the rest of the seven weeks and then see what happens. He's such a deep sleeper. The ped said this will hopefully train him to wake up about that time to go.

The other suggestion she had was to make him sit on the potty for at least five minutes at night before bed - but I have four kids so keeping him there for that time just is a pita so I haven't been doing that part.

Good luck!
momofthem311
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Just curious because I remember my daughter didnt like to talk about it. She was too embarrassed by it.

Quoting eb415:

That's interesting that it stopped quickly after she stopped wearing them.  We've tried going without diapers occassionally to see if that would make a difference, but it doesn't seem to for us.  She's just a really deep sleeper.

We talk about it - why?  Wearing diapers doesn't bother her that much, and sometimes it seems like she likes wearing them.  I can't really blame her, since it's better than waking up in a wet bed.  She never fights us about putting one on.  And we remind her that she'll grow out of it eventually when she gets discouraged about it, but that doesn't happen too often.

Quoting momofthem311:

Quoting eb415:

Quoting momofthem311:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:55 PM

My 8 year old son does and he hates it. The doctor told him its not that unusual and probably a couple of his friends do it also.  She gave us a script for Desmopressin Acetate which can be used periodically so he can attend or have a sleepover, which is something he has been wanting to do but won't because of his bedwetting.

eb415
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Makes sense.  She's embarrassed about it and doesn't want others to find out, but isn't embarrassed about it with me or DH.

Quoting momofthem311:

Just curious because I remember my daughter didnt like to talk about it. She was too embarrassed by it.

Quoting eb415:

Quoting momofthem311:

Quoting eb415:

Quoting momofthem311:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN