Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do you let your teen smoke dope? Would you?

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:27 AM
  • 18 Replies

Another Reason Cool Moms Shouldn't Let Their Kids Smoke Pot

by Kiri Blakeley

Moms, if you are tempted to turn the other way when your teen smokes pot -- or even smoke up with your little pothead -- you may want to think twice about it. A new study says that, in your formative years, smoking even a little bit of pot can result in lifelong brain damage and cause a significantly higher risk of psychiatric disorders, including schizophrenia. I know some moms love their pot and consider it a natural herb much like mint from the garden, but this study is kind of scary.

Granted, the study was done with mice (poor mice!), but what it concluded is that teenage mice who were given low doses of the active ingredient in marijuana for only 20 days did weird things to their cheese like try to paint starbursts on it and they giggled uncontrollably when asked, "Who cut the cheese?"

No, seriously, folks, the mice got brain damage! There were also indications that the mouse brains did the same sort of thing that happens in the brains of humans when they have schizophrenia and psychiatric disorders.

On the other hand, the study concluded that the same thing doesn't happen when adults smoke dope. The adult mice's brains were fine after they got high. Says the study's lead author:

Adolescence is the critical period during which marijuana use can be damaging.

Another study showed that marijuana use destroys dopamine in the brain of both teens and adults, making them more withdrawn, apathetic, and lethargic. They needed a study for that?

I know plenty of people who occasionally indulged in pot use as a teen and none of them are brain damaged or have schizophrenia, but some of them certainly are spacey and forgetful!

At any rate, moms might want to think twice before letting their teen get away with toking up and being thankful he or she isn't boozing or drugging. In fact, just keep those teens in a big plastic bubble, 'kay?

Do you let your teen smoke dope?

by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes I do , I figure if shes going to do it behind my back if I saay no just let her do it , She gets great grades and is a good kid ,She smokes pot to help with headacehs and period symptoms

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Smoking anything is disgusting. Blech. 

Marijuana is legal in our state, and I voted for it to be such because it's ridiculous for it not to be, but that doesn't mean I condone it in my house. I will treat it the same way I do alcohol. It's my house, it's my rules, and as long as you are living here that is a big fat NO.

Granted, I cant be with my daughter 24/7, and when she is a teen we'll talk about alcohol and drugs, and their consequences so that when she isn't with me she can make good decisions. I drank in high school, I went to parties, I expect she will too, but hopefully she and her friends will be smart and not go to excess, or use designated drivers, or as awkward as it would be, call her Dad and I if she needs a ride home. 

dingysfamily
by Suzi on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:47 AM

My kids aren't teens any longer, but they never did and had they and had I found out ... they would have been in some very serious trouble!!!

LoneStarrLady
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:34 AM
No, I would not be ok with my kids smoking pot. Not because I have an issue with it, in fact I think it ought to be legalized. It's because kids shouldn't get high or drunk. Their bodies and brains are still developing. It's hard for teens to make intelligent, responsible choices on a good day. Throw in anything that lowers reasoning and logic and your 16 year old just turned into a six year old. If they're responsible adults and want to smoke pot then I've got no problem with it. Kids just aren't able to handle it. They aren't really able to predict the consequences of their actions sober. I think immaturity and intoxicants are a dangerous combination.
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:26 PM

They're adults now, but I wouldn't have "allowed" it, just as with alcohol. I'm quite sure they did though. If what they've become as adults is inclusive of brain damage, I can't even imagine what brilliance they'd be displaying.

I did have the opportunity to work in vivisection for the military for awhile. This article isn't very forthcoming with information....only what will grab the eye of the already scared parent. I'm not concerned.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Unlike a lot of parents,I personally do not care about all these ridiculous studies these crack pots do. so many lf these "studies" are a 100% waste of energy,time,and mostly...money! The only damn reason the government keeps allowing smear studies and campaigns about how "horrible and terrible and dangerous" marijuana is,is because they themselves cannot figure out on how to patent it and make billions of dollars off of it. Medical marijuana is only a little bit on how the government makes money off of it. Tell you what media followers,if the government DOES figure out on how to own the complete rights and all marijuana plants(either in the wild or grown in home) we'll be reading the studies that they were all mistaken! Marijuana will probably grow brain cells! Lol! People are so damn gullible!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I don't yet have teens, but I don't think I would like for them to use cannabis until they're adults.

I didn't use it until I was 18. That worked for me. I think if I'd started earlier, it would have affected my school life adversely.

DH started when he was 11-13, and is perfectly fine in every way.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:05 PM

No way in hell.

storkradio193
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I don't have any teens, but do not plan on letting them smoke.

famiglia_bella
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Refer Madness, LOL!  From personal experience, I think studies that claim it causes brain damage are scare tactics.  But, no, I wouldn't let my teen smoke.  Much like I wouldn't allow a child to do anything that is age-inappropriate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)