Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need idea's!!

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:57 PM
  • 5 Replies

I want to start a nonprofit group and do something for the community. I have begun researching and planning but I want to be sure I select a great idea that will benefit as many people as possible. I hate to single out one demographic of people like solely helping the homeless because even though it is great, there are families in need that with the right support can prevent becoming homeless. That is just an example, I'm not saying that is the only direction I want to go in. I need creative idea's that people will want to become involved with not just another group collecting cans for the holidays. Please help!!

by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
jojobean558
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this
How about something to help out kids of working parents that are just making ends meet. I know for me, I feel guilty that I can't even afford to send my DD to summer camp even though I make to much money according to any other groups I've gone to for help.
NDADanceMom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:00 PM
Why don't you volunteer for the united way? They help other charities and they can help lead you to a need in your area.
Non profits are pretty complicated. I'd make sure you knew what you were doing so you can meet all the promises you make
MsTerraANDMom
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I've been a part of many volunteer groups for over 7 years now. I began as a Big Sister in the Boys and Girls Club, then have volunteered at the library, food pantries, offered free childcare services in a local homeless center set up for families so the parents have childcare so they can go out and apply for jobs, I've visited the chemo treatment center many times when my Dad was getting treatment and helped the patients feel more comfortable during their visits (even ran errands for some of them because they were too sick to go and their families were at work). I'm not saying all this to brag but make the point that I have gotten out there in a variety of ways and I'm not making promises I can't keep... I see the complexity in running a successful nonprofit and that is why I am investing time doing research, reading books, talking with expirenced advisors..instead of spending free time sitting at home watching movies I AM actually out there laying the ground work. 

I simply am reaching out for creative ideas before I set plans in stone. I see tons of needs in my area, all of which I would like to promote but I want to be sure I pick something that other people believe in as well.... 

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Why don't you volunteer for the united way? They help other charities and they can help lead you to a need in your area.
Non profits are pretty complicated. I'd make sure you knew what you were doing so you can meet all the promises you make

NDADanceMom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:16 PM
That all sounds nice, I've worked and trained with peace corps and americorps. I worked full time for habitat for 2 years as a volunteer coordinator. Plus little random things such as you have done. In no way do i have the skills of an executive director.

I think that if you have the time and energy you should consider working with an existing non profit. You could even work up to ED but i think just starting one from scratch with no ED experience can do more harm than good. It happens all the time.

Quoting MsTerraANDMom:

I've been a part of many volunteer groups for over 7 years now. I began as a Big Sister in the Boys and Girls Club, then have volunteered at the library, food pantries, offered free childcare services in a local homeless center set up for families so the parents have childcare so they can go out and apply for jobs, I've visited the chemo treatment center many times when my Dad was getting treatment and helped the patients feel more comfortable during their visits (even ran errands for some of them because they were too sick to go and their families were at work). I'm not saying all this to brag but make the point that I have gotten out there in a variety of ways and I'm not making promises I can't keep... I see the complexity in running a successful nonprofit and that is why I am investing time doing research, reading books, talking with expirenced advisors..instead of spending free time sitting at home watching movies I AM actually out there laying the ground work. 

I simply am reaching out for creative ideas before I set plans in stone. I see tons of needs in my area, all of which I would like to promote but I want to be sure I pick something that other people believe in as well.... 

Quoting NDADanceMom:

vevespears
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:32 PM

I think the option for homeless is good, something to help -being specific- homeless woman and their children, to help them empowerment and become succesful, finding resources to get education, parenting classes, interviews to find jobs, etc. Just an idea, but I might not be to into knowing what are really the needs of a community, I guess depends

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)