Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

School clothes!!!! $400!!!

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 8:12 PM
  • 74 Replies
2 moms liked this
My sister spent 400 on school clothes!!! Crazy.
Dd is 6 she is so skinny she has clothes from when she was 4 so I got her all new clothes this year and spent 200. What do you think is a good amount to spend on back to school clothes?
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sheramom4
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 8:15 PM

There have been years I have spent that much. It really depends on how the kids grew. Middle DD, who has always been my smallest kiddo, has decided to grow 5 inches so far this year, 3 shoes sizes, and gain 10 lbs. Nothing she owns fits properly right now. She is still super-skinny, so even finding clothes that fir properly is a challenge and usually more expensive. I average 150.00 per kid typically though (I have 4). 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 30, 2013 at 8:17 PM
I used to spend $500+ per dd once in middle and hs. Then more throughout the year. $1000+ a year or so per kid.
NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 8:19 PM
3 moms liked this
I don't really buy a new wardrobe at the start of the school year. I buy a couple new outfits a month all year long. It wouldn't take too long to spend $400 though. My 18 year old only wears true religion jeans, even my 11 year olds justice jeans are $40. I bought my son an Ed hardy shirt that was $120.
Once you add shoes? $400 doesn't go far at all.
jlmc
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Thank goodness dd doesn't understand name brands yet. Ha ha. I can imagine it must get a lot more expensive as the kids get older. Dd got some skinny jeans from justice but they were on sale for 15 thank goodness.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

I don't really buy a new wardrobe at the start of the school year. I buy a couple new outfits a month all year long. It wouldn't take too long to spend $400 though. My 18 year old only wears true religion jeans, even my 11 year olds justice jeans are $40. I bought my son an Ed hardy shirt that was $120.

Once you add shoes? $400 doesn't go far at all.
newmomphilly1
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Well if she can afford it. It should be ok. Buying good school shoes and Oxford shirts and pants and sneakers for gym yeah it could cost that amount. My dd school is like a private school and they have to wear uniforms and one skirt cost $48 bucks and I need 5 for the week
allabout11708
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 8:29 PM
1 mom liked this
We are $350 into school clothes, school supplies, and two pairs of tennis shoes, socks and undies. Our son will be starting Kindergarten this year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nurse1997
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I'm down about 900 for school clothes but I have 3 mine all wear school uniforms but my teens have found every white,blue,black polo shirts in this world I think  !

fassett05
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:12 AM
2 moms liked this
I spend about one hundred. About Fifty dollars on shoes for my youngest. He's hard on shoes. And with him being a Stocky Boy i find the only pants that fit him are canyon River Blues at Sears. He wears the same size waist for.the laast three yeaars. But we will see this year. He is verry Stocky on The Top Half. So simple Men's tee shirts and long sleves get at walmaet. He wears x-large in men's shirts. Don't judge.
othermom
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:22 AM
3 moms liked this

I pick up things on clearance through out the year and then get them shoes if they need it. So I spend maybe $100 or so per kid. I also use their stuff from the year before if it is still in good sape and fill in with stuff from yard sales and thrift stores

MJP76
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:40 AM

For kids that young that grow every few months 2 or 3 100 is a good amount.

mine are older, I enjoy school shopping with mine.. Between the youngest two, we spend about 800-1000 a year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN