Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

what you think when you see a mom outside

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:38 AM
  • 215 Replies
2 moms liked this
With her baby begging for change holding a sign? Do you feel instantly bad and give her money or think it's a shame she is using her baby to get money and keep walking? Any other thoughts? I saw this outside of a store today
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HappyGirl77
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:51 AM
16 moms liked this

I have very skewed views on this due to living in several cities where the homeless population was quite abundant.  It was/is illegal to panhandle wherever we have lived; but I would give a bottle of water (never money) if I had one with me.  We saw a family one time and offered them our food from Famous Dave's.  We asked if they would like it and they actually asked what it was and had to decide if it was something they liked.  They had 3 small children with them.  That was the last time I ever offered food.  If you have the option to be choosy when you are out on the streets with your children begging for food...well, you obviously don't need it that bad.  

So to answer your question, I feel horrible for the kids; but I don't have much sympathy for the parents.

Eve-marie
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:07 AM
3 moms liked this

I have never seen it but I have heard of people doing that and I know that at least one of them can do better but makes bad choices when it comes to money. She buys DVDs and hair and then her utilities get cut off and she begs the church to pay off the bills. I don't feel sorry for those types of people who do as they like and then expect a handout from others who work hard and sacrifice the little details to make ends meet. And then she asks for a little piece of cheese so she can make lunch for (youngest child). Disgusting. I gave it but it's disgusting.

bonitalilmama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:15 AM
My mom had offered a ham sandwich once and a homeless guy said he don't eat pork. Smh

Quoting HappyGirl77:

I have very skewed views on this due to living in several cities where the homeless population was quite abundant.  It was/is illegal to panhandle wherever we have lived; but I would give a bottle of water (never money) if I had one with me.  We saw a family one time and offered them our food from Famous Dave's.  We asked if they would like it and they actually asked what it was and had to decide if it was something they liked.  They had 3 small children with them.  That was the last time I ever offered food.  If you have the option to be choosy when you are out on the streets with your children begging for food...well, you obviously don't need it that bad.  

So to answer your question, I feel horrible for the kids; but I don't have much sympathy for the parents.

Eve-marie
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:21 AM
3 moms liked this

Lol! A religious one, now. I always heard that beggars can't be choosers. Guess they can.

Quoting bonitalilmama:

My mom had offered a ham sandwich once and a homeless guy said he don't eat pork. Smh

Quoting HappyGirl77:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:28 AM
3 moms liked this

If I have anything on me, I'll offer the child a treat, then tell mom where the nearest assistance office is.

bonitalilmama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry but i didn't feel bad for the lady outside the store, i wanted to take the baby though. She started crying to these people talking about she can't take it, she need counseling or someone tried to give her something and all i could think was sympathy tears and why that baby outside at 1130. Wouldn't out be easy to get welfare or get in a shelter with a baby? Like how any of her friends or family turn their back on the baby?
bonitalilmama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:31 AM
1 mom liked this
And i was thinking where is the father? My SO said she should out kept her legs closed, she had no right bringing a baby in to the world in that position
bonitalilmama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:32 AM
That baby had to be like 6months, wasn't crying though
ambertreas76
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:36 AM
5 moms liked this

I've seen this and interacted with someone like that because I am a giving person. I gave food to a woman like that and she handed it back. 'I need money, not food handouts'.  NEVER EVER EVER AGAIN!!  

bonitalilmama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh god! I have heard them demand money as well only and look at food Like its the devil, they wanna feed their habit smh

Quoting ambertreas76:

I've seen this and interacted with someone like that because I am a giving person. I gave food to a woman like that and she handed it back. 'I need money, not food handouts'.  NEVER EVER EVER AGAIN!!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)