Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Are Women Just as Likely to Cheat as Men?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:22 AM
  • 7 Replies

Women Are Just as Likely to Cheat as Men Despite What Guys Might Say

by Kiri Blakeley

Have you ever had a guy cheat on you and then someone (maybe even the guy himself) says, "Whaddya expect? Guys are wired to cheat." And then maybe they give you some mumbo jumbo about the cavemen and how they had to spread their seed and guys are just really still cavemen and blah blah blah. Well, scientists seem to have finally figured out that men are not wired to cheat after all -- at least not any more than women are. In fact, it seems that waaaay back in the day, when we were all living in caves and roasting freshly-killed bison for dinner, men and women were equally non-monogamous. But then men and women evolved into a monogamous species -- at the same time. And the reasons are pretty interesting!

Scientists studied the mating habits of monkeys and came up with "conclusive proof" that humans all used to be non-monogamous. If you think about it, that makes sense. Non-modern man lived in caves with groups of people, they hunted and foraged together, they had sex together, they gave birth together, it was all like one big hippie commune.

Except for one thing. The men were killing off the children. Women were busy tending to their babies so they didn't really want to have sex anymore (much like today! ha!) and the men didn't want to wait around to have sex while the kid grew up -- so they just offed the kid!

This was putting a damper on the whole procreation thing, so humans evolved into monogamous creatures, where the man would only have sex with one woman and would help take care of and protect their children rather than kill them. Make sense?

So what has this all got to do with cheating? It sounds to me like we all started out non-monogamous (other books make this claim too) and then gradually we all became monogamous -- because we had to for the good of mankind.

And since both men and women evolved this way for specific reasons, one isn't any more likely to be "hard-wired" to cheat. In fact, some recent studies say that women are even more likely to cheat than men!

After millions of years of this, monogamy is in our DNA. But don't fool yourself. That inner sex-hungry Neanderthal still lurks within -- and sometimes busts out for a little playtime!

Do you think men and women are naturally more monogamous or non-monogamous?

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I think that comparing humans to monkeys is stupid.

I also don't believe we evolved from animals.

I think men and women both will cheat under the right circumstances. Men will act on lust more often than women, while women tend to cheat in reaction to an emotional connection.

sonnyswoman75
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:13 AM
I don't think any gender is more prone to cheating more than the other. I mean after all it does take two to tango right?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Bunch of lame excuses! "men are hard wired to cheat.... to spread their seed."

Some women used to blame drinking for cheating. face the truth. You cheated because you were tempted.

Lovingmommy1028
by Vanessa on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

all people can cheat but it takes a real person to be honest & true to there partner & stay faithful 

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I think they're both equal, or have the capability to be.

abecee
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Cheating is not a gender issue.  Its an issue of character.

newwifenmom
by Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I think its all about control but do know that men are more excited by "something new" than women are.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)