Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Should moms avoid dangerous jobs like firefighting?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 75 Replies

A friend of mine is now a single mom thanks to a cheating soon-to-be-ex-husband. She's a firefighter and he's saying that because she works a dangerous job and their kids could be left motherless, she's not fit to raise them. He, however, works construction on skyscrapers and things like that, but says that's different because he's a man.

Do you think women should avoid dangerous jobs for the sake of their kids?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GertieK
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:12 PM
5 moms liked this
Oh for pity's sake. The guy sounds like an idiot. Women have "callings" just like anyone, and believe me - firefighting is a calling. Hard to do unless you are led by an inner drive.
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Probably an individual thing. And probably depends on how close you came to death. I thought I was invincible until I had a loaded gun 10" from my face.

momofthem311
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:10 PM
2 moms liked this
He's an idiot and wrong. A person can die walking outside of their house. It takes a lot to be a firefighter, she sounds like a great mother. And who the hell is he to judge how fit she is after he cheated? Asshole!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Women can be a firefighter, police officer, in the military or whateve.
abecee
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:04 PM

He's a fool. She has the right to do whatever she wants and likes and has a passion for.

storkradio193
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:51 PM

It's a personal decision and every one probably has different views of what is dangerous or too dangerous.  

I disagree with his logic on many levels. 

MommaTate
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 1:53 AM

I think this guy sounds like a total jerk. Personally, because I'm a mom I wouldn't take any job that could put my life in danger and I don't think my husband should either, because he's a dad. However, I certainly don't hold it against others if they make different choices and I certainly don't think it makes them unfit parents. I think this guy is just grasping at strings.

Quoting Anonymous:

A friend of mine is now a single mom thanks to a cheating soon-to-be-ex-husband. She's a firefighter and he's saying that because she works a dangerous job and their kids could be left motherless, she's not fit to raise them. He, however, works construction on skyscrapers and things like that, but says that's different because he's a man.

Do you think women should avoid dangerous jobs for the sake of their kids?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

DanaG70
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

He's just trying to find ways to get back at her for kicking his ass out, the best way to do that is to try and take her kids away from her, and if that fails, try and take the career she loves away.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

although it's not a flattering photo of my DH and I (we were in the bucket of our truck and using my ipod)...... He can kiss my @$$...... 
I am a volunteer, not paid... but still.,...... 

Sister_Someone
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I don't think anyone should avoid any kind of a job they enjoy and are capable for.

My job is a different kind of dangerous. I work in a lab with chemicals and viruses, some dangerous enough to actually kill me or make me seriously ill if I drop a vial or cut myself. The chances are low, but not negligible in any way. I do love that job and there is nothing in the world that would make me quit it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)