Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do you think a restaurant employee should get fired for tip-shaming customers via Twitter?

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:13 AM
  • 27 Replies

Restaurant Worker Fired for Publicly Tip-Shaming Customer

by Adriana Velez

tipsHow many people here agree: Tipping is still voluntary. Right? I mean, most of us feel like we should tip, and most of us do tip. But we also know that if we fail to tip (for whatever reason), we shouldn't be run out of town by a posse of vigilante waiters. And we shouldn't get yelled at by a restaurant worker. But what about getting called out for failing to tip via Twitter? Brendan O'Connor was fired for tip-shaming via Twitter at Milk Truck, a popular food truck.

Um, yeah -- did I mention this was a food truck, not even a restaurant?

But it's a little more complicated than that. O'Connor didn't call out customers for failing to tip on a $5 sandwich. He called out an investment bank for failing to tip on a $170 order. Hmm, suddenly I'm feeling a little defensive of O'Connor.

brendan o'connor

I mean, we all kind of love to hate investment banks these days. And that's a big order. I don't blame O'Connor for being peeved that they didn't tip. But still ... it wasn't a smart move. Glass, Lewis & Co. complained to Milk Truck, and Milk Truck had to apologize for the slight. Sure, they could have taken a bold stand and defended their employee against the mean bankers who won't tip -- but these are business owners. They kind of want to stay in business, especially if it means more of those huge orders.

Except ... then O'Connor wrote an angry blog post about the incident, and now the young, hipster customers that helped make Milk Truck successful enough to catch the attention of the investment bankers in the first place are angry with the food truck. So firing O'Connor sort of backfired.

All this over some tips at a food truck? It's all starting to make everyone look petty, the bankers, Milk Truck, and yes, O'Connor. I'm sorry, but calling out a bunch of investment bankers for not tipping at a food truck -- AND THEN getting all outraged when you're (surprise, surprise) fired for doing that -- is such an entitled, millennial white guy thing to do. He put Milk Truck in an awkward position. And anyway, is this where we're headed? What's next, we're going to start Instagramming photos of customers who fail to tip? Great.

Do you think a restaurant employee should get fired for tip-shaming customers via Twitter?

by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Maybe, but I tip. Even if it is my change. I am an awesome tipper. When you do restaurant work you appreciate food service workers so much more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catevincesmom
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:26 AM

The bank should have tipped on such a big order, esp if the service was good. . .I understand O'Connor's frustration.  However, it was not a wise move to post it on Twitter like that.  I agree w/ OP, petty on everyone's part. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Exactly. Common courtesy!

Quoting catevincesmom:

The bank should have tipped on such a big order, esp if the service was good. . .I understand O'Connor's frustration.  However, it was not a wise move to post it on Twitter like that.  I agree w/ OP, petty on everyone's part. 

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Since he mentioned the name of the company, yes! Normally on an order like that-which is in a sense a catering, an automatic tip is added, but in the area where I live, tips are not expected at food trucks.

abecee
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Yes I do.

Tipping is optional; there is not law that demands or requires people to tip.  It's a simple courtesy to tip.

I've been a waitress for many many years

Mblessesd4x
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I dont think anyone should take to social media just because of a tip. I do however think the bank should be shamed so i guess im on the fence. That is a big order and they obviously couldve afforded a 20 dollar tip. It was probably petty cash anyway. 

faeriemom1972
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I think not at least tipping the minimum is pretty shitty, but Mr. O'Connor should not have named the company. The restaurant probably felt that they had to fire him to save face.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Maybe it was simply an oversight.  Maybe she was as snarky in person as she was in her twitter feed & they didn't want to tip.  I say she was foolish to say anything...big spenders like that help keep your job secure.  I say the banker was in their right to ask for the comments to be removed.  Fired?  A warning would have been more appropriate, but maybe she just wasn't valuable enough of an employee.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Yes, should be fired for tweeting about it. It's not good/ professional PR for the restaurant itself so it's a very self-serving move to do it on twitter.

shamillionaire
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Maybe they should have tipped! Lol! I applaud him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)