Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

C-sections and vaginals

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 3:50 PM
  • 45 Replies
This should be a post where bashing is minimal (I hope). I wanna know everyone's opinions on c-sectiona and vaginal births. And to possible hear your birth story ^_^

My birth story: I went in with my mom, my df, and my best friend on the night of October 3rd. The next morning, I was induced. By 9:45 pm, I hadn't progressed past 4. I was taken for a c-section after 14 hours of labor. My daughter was born at 10:11 pm at 6 lbs 10 oz. I was in recovery for an hour, then taken to my room where everyone was waiting. Within 3 hours, I was up and walking around and my nurses were in awe of it (I don't see why. I'm not the first woman to go through a longer labor than have a c-section and be up and walking quickly).

Now I'm going to tell you why I HATED having a c-section. I didn't get to hold my daughter first. Her dad (df) picked her up while I was recovery. My mom held her next. I also wanted a vaginal birth (BADLY). I know it's probably stupid of me, but I was pissed and jealous that they held her before me (still am, to be honest. I've tried to let it go, but I can't make peace with it for some reason).

So, back to the post. Thoughts on c-sections and vaginal births and possible share your birth story?
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
catevincesmom
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I am 4'8", so @ my 1st ob appt, dr said that sometimes shorter women had a greater chance of c-sec's.  Also, my mom, her sister, her mother, & a cousin from that side all had c-sec's.  I know, I know, supposedly they're not hereditary-but, in this case, there was a pattern.  W/ my dd, they induced me @ 38wks 'cause my bp was a lil high & hoping that maybe she was small enough to make it on her own, so to speak.  Well, after 19hrs & attempting to push, dr says there's no way.  So, she was born @ app 2am. 5 lbs, 15oz, 19/4in. I was exhausted.  I barely remember being told she was a girl.  It was a lil disappointing that everyone else got to hold her first, but @ least I was well prepared for the possiblity for a c-sec.  My ds was born 15mo later.  H2o broke about 11p, he was out @ app 2:30a.  Another c-sec, cause we didn't think it was worth trying for a VBAC.  He was 5lb, 7oz, 18 1/4 in.

momofthem311
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 4:03 PM
I had both my kids vaginally, one with epidural one without. My sister had 3 c-sections. First birth was a planned water birth but turned into an emergency c-section, the next 2 were planned c-sections because as you all know doctors say you have to have them if you have one, which I'm not sure why really.

My take on either way you give birth is it's what's best for you and your baby.

The Business of Being Born... Excellent documentary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jlmc
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Both my birth stories are the similar. My water broke on its own with dd and contractions started immediately this was at 530 am. I went to the hospital got checked in. Got my epidural and she was out at 922 am. Ds contractions started strong around 1 pm. Same story, then he was born at 524pm.my recoveries were great and quick, no real vaginal pain afterwards. I had great vaginal birth experiences.
miraclemom20821
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I will not tell all the details however I went into labor on a thursday evening after having an exam at the dr.s he said its not labor, i had back pain so bad that I got up and took a shower , than went back to bed the next day I called into work and phoned the doctor my contractions were regular. Went to the dr, he sent me to the hospital the baby was coming but she was early 31 weeks, so they wanted me to rest i was in labor for 28 hours and than the baby's heart rate was so high and I became so sick that I could even talk - they had to do a c-section but what I didn't know until 2 years later was they told my husband only one of us would make it. well they got our DD out took her to University hospital DH spent all his time with her while I was recovering. I also did not get to hold her and saw her for only a minute or two. Dh took good care of her that first week than she returned to the hospital with me and stayed 4 more days and we went home together, that's when we had our time and we are always together still. I did not have a choice on the delivery. things went bad quickly and Thank God we both  made it out alive because the veteran Dr. didn't believe it was going to work out that way. So it is hurtful that you were the mom, who got to carry and hold the baby in your womb for 9 months and than your DF held her first , but he never did get to feel all that you felt for 9 months so yeah it sucks I know first hand but love your daughter now and hold on to her now. because the birthing part thankfully is over .

Ashley1113
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 4:05 PM
My dr now is encouraging a VBAC. He said another c-section would be WAY to hard on my body.

Quoting momofthem311:

I had both my kids vaginally, one with epidural one without. My sister had 3 c-sections. First birth was a planned water birth but turned into an emergency c-section, the next 2 were planned c-sections because as you all know doctors say you have to have them if you have one, which I'm not sure why really.

twitchandsnore
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 4:05 PM
My first was a c-section and my last 3 were vbacs. my c-section wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but my vbacs were so much better!
momofthem311
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Well you should what's best for you. Something hard on you might be hard on the baby. I would do your own research and make the best decision you feel comfortable with.

Quoting Ashley1113:

My dr now is encouraging a VBAC. He said another c-section would be WAY to hard on my body.

Quoting momofthem311:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ashley1113
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 4:14 PM
I have ^_^ I appreciate your concern. Since I found out I was pregnant, I have done extensive research on VBACs and I am completely comfortable with attempting one.

Quoting momofthem311:

Well you should what's best for you. Something hard on you might be hard on the baby. I would do your own research and make the best decision you feel comfortable with.

Quoting Ashley1113:

Quoting momofthem311:

happinessforyou
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 4:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I would go with whichever was medically needed to ensure a healthy mom and baby.

If holding your child FIRST meant that much to you-you should have explained that to the delivery team so that they would give the baby to you FIRST.

My DH was the first to hold both of our kids-and the look on his face was priceless. I felt that I had gotten 9 months worth of "alone time" with the baby-it was his first momment of being a DAD!!

Sorry you were disappointed in the birth of your healthy baby......GL

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 1, 2013 at 4:40 PM
I worry about my 4 ft 10 92lb dd having a baby someday.

Quoting catevincesmom:

I am 4'8", so @ my 1st ob appt, dr said that sometimes shorter women had a greater chance of c-sec's.  Also, my mom, her sister, her mother, & a cousin from that side all had c-sec's.  I know, I know, supposedly they're not hereditary-but, in this case, there was a pattern.  W/ my dd, they induced me @ 38wks 'cause my bp was a lil high & hoping that maybe she was small enough to make it on her own, so to speak.  Well, after 19hrs & attempting to push, dr says there's no way.  So, she was born @ app 2am. 5 lbs, 15oz, 19/4in. I was exhausted.  I barely remember being told she was a girl.  It was a lil disappointing that everyone else got to hold her first, but @ least I was well prepared for the possiblity for a c-sec.  My ds was born 15mo later.  H2o broke about 11p, he was out @ app 2:30a.  Another c-sec, cause we didn't think it was worth trying for a VBAC.  He was 5lb, 7oz, 18 1/4 in.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)