Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Would you freak out if your kids' school required them to read a book about masturbation?

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:28 AM
  • 32 Replies
1 mom liked this

Parents Freak Out Over '50 Shades for Kids' Being Required Reading at School

by Kiri Blakeley

Nothing gets parents' knickers in a twist more than the idea their kids might get their knickers twisted with a little self exploration. Masturbation is an instinctual and natural act that causes no harm whatsoever, but still kids are shamed out of it. One group of parents in Queens, New York got so alarmed about an award-winning book that had some passages about masturbation in it that the book was removed from the required reading list. Didn't these parents ever read Are You There God? It's Me Margaret?!

The book, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, contains passages such as:

And if God hadn’t wanted us to masturbate, then God wouldn’t have given us thumbs. So I thank God for my thumbs.

Ooooooh. Horrors. One parent went so far as to compare the book to one that contains about a gajillion sex scenes, and you probably know what book I'm talking about it. Said mom Kelly-Ann McMullan-Preiss, who refused to let her son read the book:

It’s about ... masturbation — which is not appropriate for my child to learn at 11. It was like 50 Shades of Grey for kids.

Riiiight.

Who are these parents who read through their kids' summer reading lists looking for dirty bits anyway? Don't they have things to do?

I wonder how many of these parents would be fine with their kids reading a book about a kid who has a gun. Or who even give their kids guns!

But masturbation? Woah. Now that's some dangerous stuff!

Here's a clue parents: At 11, your kid is either masturbating, has heard about it, has considered it, or will start doing it within the next few years. And who cares? How exactly would this harm your child? No, it won't make your child any more sexually active than not knowing about masturbation.

Said the author, Sherman Alexie, about the taboo subject:

To pretend that kids aren’t dealing with this on an hour-by-hour basis is a form of denial.

As the book says, "Everybody does it. And everybody likes it."

But not some parents, apparently. At least not if their kids are doing the liking!

Do you think these parents overreacted?

by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Inappropriate for schools.
Qmama206
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Not okay for school age children
faeriemom1972
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:48 AM
2 moms liked this

That book is not about masturbation.

catevincesmom
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:54 AM

not appropriate for kids.

MelanieJK
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:11 AM

If it's totally natural and kids are doing it whether their parents think they are are or not haven't they pretty much figured it out without a bunch of know-it-all "educators" help? Haven't they always? The only thing the educators are concerned about is what the parents ARE teaching them,  not what they aren't.

It's not their job to contradict the parents.

Sex education in schools should be about protection protection protection.    Here's how you get pregnant.   Here's how you keep it from happening.    Here's how you get STD's.    Here's how you don't.    We're teaching math because they're going to have a checking account and a mortgage in the future.    Same here.   Maybe they do have a checking account now.    The parents should have an opinion about that,  the schools is irrelevant.    There should be NO discussion that assumes kids are or aren't doing anything or when anything is or is not ok.      

Momofmenagerie
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Here's my take, it's fine. It's an age appropriate book for Tweens. They are doing it, so may as well have them realize, so does everyone else.... Now, little weird if " masterbate" is a vocabulary word.... But it wouldn't be.

Parents can apparently still ban books with enough stink.

MelanieJK
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Apparently kids are having sex at a younger and younger age in higher and higher numbers. Should we give them a book reflecting that fact so they'll realize "so does everyone else"? I don't get why they need to be taught that everyone else is doing it. Given the sorry state of our public schools does this really need to be on that reading list?! How about a book about healthy eating?
Quoting Momofmenagerie:

Here's my take, it's fine. It's an age appropriate book for Tweens. They are doing it, so may as well have them realize, so does everyone else.... Now, little weird if " masterbate" is a vocabulary word.... But it wouldn't be.

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:12 AM
We may not give them a book about kids having sex, but statistics are part of health class. I remember being in middle school being told that something like 10% of girls my age got pregnant. I don't necessarily think it should be banned, but it shouldn't be required.

Quoting MelanieJK:

Apparently kids are having sex at a younger and younger age in higher and higher numbers. Should we give them a book reflecting that fact so they'll realize "so does everyone else"? I don't get why they need to be taught that everyone else is doing it.

Given the sorry state of our public schools does this really need to be on that reading list?! How about a book about healthy eating?

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:15 AM
5 moms liked this
It isn't a book about masturbation, it's a book that mentions masturbation. There's a huge difference there. I don't think I'd want my kid to read an entire book about masturbation, but only because I can't imagine what it would contain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
proudmommy270
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Its not okay for young kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)