Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it too much to ask? . . .

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:52 PM
  • 13 Replies
4 moms liked this

To put some punctuation in between your sentences? I'm not a grammar and spelling nazi, but sometimes it's hard to understand what people are saying without the punctuation. Even if it's not correct (like you put a period instead of a question mark or a comma) anything helps. I feel like sometimes I'm over here solving the Da Vinci code when trying to understand what people are saying. 

Let's eat grandma,

Let's eat, grandma. Punctuation saves lives. lol

by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofthem311
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM
I SO know what you mean! Sometimes I will be reading a post and feel so bad because I am thinking to myself, " geez how did this person get out of high school?". I know that's really awful but y'all know what I mean.
People in our very small town speak very poorly a lot too and I cringe every time I hear it and I so badly want to correct them but I never will. We have been living here for over 2 years now and I have to fight sometime not to say things like, " he don't want to", or " we don't have no things like that". You catch what I mean.
Wow, I just said that to myself and hear how uptight I sound but I'm sorry, it's how I grew up. I'm not sorry really...lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rachellaree20
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Sometimes I won't finish or even start reading posts with terrible punctuation, sentence structure, or lack of paragraphs.  If I have to struggle to read something just to give someone advice, more than likely I'm not going to read it.

Jmom4
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 12:15 AM

It is not too much to ask. It drives me crazy. It is just lazy not too, lol. Even my 5 year old puts in some punctuation.

WebCat
by Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 6:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm old. I've lived through women's liberation and glass ceilings and the continuing fight to earn equal wages; which we have not yet won. We, as women, still have so far to go. When I see such poor grammar on a site for women I think, "Oh my Lord! It's not your womb keeping you back."

I also don't bother to try to decipher whatever it is the woman has typed. I figure that whatever problem they have it starts with, and would end with, her ability to express herself, and as she hasn't bothered to improve that no insight from me will help her. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 3, 2013 at 8:53 AM
I can't even read some posts. A few I see on here have paragraphs with one run off sentence. Then someone gets pissed if you comment that you can't read or understand the post.
OCALAMOMOFTWINS
by Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Cute!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 3, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I moved to this country 11 years ago and  English is not my first language, but I make the effort every time I type or write something.

I also find it annoying when people don't use punctuation or when they start changing the words to look the way they sound, like: any1, buyz, tvz (T.V.) giv, theyr, nam, dnt (don't), etc.

Really? that is not English or any language I know

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 3, 2013 at 10:56 AM
I so agree with you! Some shorten words worse than texting. I just refuse to read that crap.

Quoting Anonymous:

I moved to this country 11 years ago and  English is not my first language, but I make the effort every time I type or write something.

I also find it annoying when people don't use punctuation or when they start changing the words to look the way they sound, like: any1, buyz, tvz (T.V.) giv, theyr, nam, dnt (don't), etc.

Really? that is not English or any language I know

GertieK
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Not too much to ask at all.  It is just reflective of the lack of interest in proper grammar.  I often wonder if the ones who communicate as you described are even capable of filling out a job application.  It drives me to distraction.  It is such a simple thing to do.  I have realized that I became lazy about capitalizing the word "I" when not on my phone because the phone does it for me automatically.  I was putting together an article and realized that all of the"I"s were "i".  Being able to communicate well through the written word is extremely important, and shows a lower level of intelligencet when the words are just one, long, run-on sentence.

LokisMama
by Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm right there with you. It probably doesn't help that my mother has taught English for the better part of the last twenty years.

It drives me mad, and I used to use it to drive other people mad.  My semi-illiterate coworker would respond to anything I said that she didn't understand with the statement "You stupid!"  To which I would respond simply with "Are."  And she'd get mad at me

It's a little funny, sometimes.  On the whole, though, it's maddening.  The general ignorance of the human race is frightening. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)