Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

field trip

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:20 AM
  • 5 Replies

My son called his dad last night like he does 2-3 nights a week he was so excited telling him about his field trips to a baseball game and the museum of science that we are going to with our church. His father got mad and told me that I should let him have the ticket and go with our church and I told him no. The tickets are exclusively for our church and the field trip is offered through are church. I did tell him he is able to take him to a game or the museum of science on his time. He said he cannot afford it and that I should pay for the trip. I told him absolutely not that if he cannot afford it then he cannot go. Did I handle this well. 

by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Paigesmommy78
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Idk about all of I wouldn't pay for the trip that's for sure but I bet ur son would love his dad to go on field trip with him but if he can't he can't
AAP1988
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:35 AM

If he wants to take him on a field trip. He can cut corners to pay for the trip. I support my kids on my own pretty much. I did tell him though if he gets a library card he can get passes for half off. 

Quoting Paigesmommy78:

Idk about all of I wouldn't pay for the trip that's for sure but I bet ur son would love his dad to go on field trip with him but if he can't he can't

breener04
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:41 AM
I know all too well about the father not being able to afford anything. My son's dad doesn't get him bc I won't send my son to a house where I have to provide everything. The one time I let him keep my son over night I have to pack diapers, a playpen, clothes, food, milk, juice, and toys just for my son to stay 12 hours. Now he is living with his gf and won't come to the house like he was before they got back together. His gf is also the reason for our marriage not working. She left her husband and the next day my husband (well now soon to be ex husband) was living with her. That was a year ago. My ex husband will not sign my divorce papers or pay the child support I was awarded. He has also made it hard on my almost 9 year old daughter since his gf is her aunt. My daughter can't even go to her dad's house without seeing her step dad. I have had to drive almost 30 minutes to her dad's house to pick her up at 10:30 pm just bc my ex husband is trying to talk to her and just her against me. I think you did the right thing. It's not your responsibility to make sure his dad has money to do things with his son. A park and picnic lunch is cheap. All he has to do is buy stuff for sandwiches and use a little bit of gas. There are things he can do with your son that does cost a lot. I live in Alabama and am a full time student living off student loans and pell grants. Although I'm suppose to get child support neither one of my kids' dads pay so I take my kids to the park or the river to do some fishing and swimming. I buy sandwich stuff and use a little bit if gas and my kids have a great time. He needs to realize its not the cost of the activity but the quality of time spend doing that activity. That is just my thoughts on the subject.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AAP1988
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Exactly! its not the cost of the activity its the quality time spent together. Most people think I am not being reasonable because I won't fund things. It's not my job just like you I am a full time student on financial aid too, and pell grants. I support my kids on my own almost. I get fed up because he says he cannot afford things with our son, but every time he sees our son he always has on a new outfit. That he should be spending on his son, and he always has a new hair dye job. 

He lives with his dad for free doesn't have any bills, so their is no reason why he cannot afford things. Also I always see his car out at the bars or clubs in my area, and I have mutual friends that says he buys drinks at the club so he can afford things when it comes to him but not our son. 

Quoting breener04:

I know all too well about the father not being able to afford anything. My son's dad doesn't get him bc I won't send my son to a house where I have to provide everything. The one time I let him keep my son over night I have to pack diapers, a playpen, clothes, food, milk, juice, and toys just for my son to stay 12 hours. Now he is living with his gf and won't come to the house like he was before they got back together. His gf is also the reason for our marriage not working. She left her husband and the next day my husband (well now soon to be ex husband) was living with her. That was a year ago. My ex husband will not sign my divorce papers or pay the child support I was awarded. He has also made it hard on my almost 9 year old daughter since his gf is her aunt. My daughter can't even go to her dad's house without seeing her step dad. I have had to drive almost 30 minutes to her dad's house to pick her up at 10:30 pm just bc my ex husband is trying to talk to her and just her against me. I think you did the right thing. It's not your responsibility to make sure his dad has money to do things with his son. A park and picnic lunch is cheap. All he has to do is buy stuff for sandwiches and use a little bit of gas. There are things he can do with your son that does cost a lot. I live in Alabama and am a full time student living off student loans and pell grants. Although I'm suppose to get child support neither one of my kids' dads pay so I take my kids to the park or the river to do some fishing and swimming. I buy sandwich stuff and use a little bit if gas and my kids have a great time. He needs to realize its not the cost of the activity but the quality of time spend doing that activity. That is just my thoughts on the subject.

breener04
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:58 AM
My ex husband is the same way just instead of beer and bars it pills and cigarettes. I can't say much about the cigarettes bc I smoke to but I am also the one with clothes, diapers and food for my son. I go to school and home. I am raising my two kids in my own with a little help from my 16 year old brother and my step mom. These guys need to wake up and realize its not our responsibility as the children's mothers to make sure the father have a good time with their children. We have to provide for our houses and when the fathers decided to leave the families it was no longer I responsibility to make sure they are provided for. And that is the hardest thing my ex husband is having to realize. I don't care if he has a place to stay or food for him to eat. I have to take care of my two kids and myself not him any longer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)