Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do you expect your child to be quiet or should others just ignore them?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 199 Replies

When you're eating out somewhere, do you expect your child to be quiet and behave themselves or do you think other people should ignore them, understanding that they're a child and expect the noise and such?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 6, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abecee
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 11:00 AM
10 moms liked this

In a family style eatery I'm more tolerate of fussy screaming tired children.  In a more fine dining establishment I expect to not have my dinner disturbed by a fussy screaming tired child.

SAM736
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 11:07 AM
4 moms liked this
Depending were we are if it's McDonalds in the play area know dig deal must kids are load in there.But a fancy restaurant he or she has to use a quite inside voice. I do think if some one is paying a good amount of money for there meal that they should have to hear my kids or any one else's kids making any noises other then eating. And if my kids weren't behaving my husband or I would have to leave the restaurant. But I only remember haveing to do that when my kids were really little.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 6, 2013 at 11:13 AM
7 moms liked this
Depends on my child's age. Like age 3 and under. Id except them to ignore it. But age 4 and up. Id except them to behave.
Marimaru
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 1:11 PM
4 moms liked this

I expect my kids to behave.  But every now and then my 3 year old will talk a little loud, or my 1 year old will squeal, and I expect people to take that in the stride of being in a public place.

That said, the nicest place either of them have been to is Outback, so, it's not like we're talking fancy.

jlmc
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 2:09 PM
9 moms liked this
My children behave well for the most part. I do expect them, especially at a restaurant, to behave. It's called being courteous to others who are paying to enjoy a meal and they should not be forced to listen to mis behaving children.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 6, 2013 at 4:21 PM
9 moms liked this
Of course they should be quiet and good. Common sense to act decent in public.
Parents now don't seem to give a shit and let kids run wild and scream and yell. Plus don't even correct them or take them out.
famiglia_bella
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 4:29 PM
3 moms liked this

I expected my children to behave.  If they were fussy because they were tired, I didn't go out.  If they got tired, I went home.  I didn't think it was fair to my kid to be out and about if they had had enough.  As far as just kids being generally loud, my kids weren't that way.  I'm quiet, so they were too.  I was at Target the other day and a mom and dad had two or three kids, and they were running around people and carts, playing tag.  They were between 4 and 7ish, cute as hell, laughing and having a good time, but it was rude.  Period.  They never even attempted to stop them, even when they were standing in line.  The kids just continued to dart in and out of different register lines.  

mamapaparazzi
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 11:11 PM
2 moms liked this

I expect my kids to be good in public.   Doesn't mean it always works that way, lol.  But the expectation is there.

NDADanceMom
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this

depends on where and what they are doing that is making noise.  My kids are never allowed to just act like animals.  I dont care if we are home alone.  They know inside and outside voices.  When we eat at home they know to use good manners, of course they are expected to be like that in public.  

I dont think you should ever take a child to a nice place on a friday or saturday night.  Its adult date night.  If you want to take them to a fancy place do it during the day if they serve lunch.  

dingysfamily
by Suzi on Aug. 7, 2013 at 4:28 AM
6 moms liked this

There is a difference between behaving and being too loud and misbehaving.  Kids are not adults and you can't expect them to act as such, but parents also need to teach their kids how to act in public places, whether it's a restatuant or a store or whatever; they need to teach their kids that they don't just yell & scream and run around all over the place.  Unfortunately too many parents anymore just seem to allow that with their kids, then when they are out without their they will be the first ones to complain about someone else's kids.  I'm see that happen several times with people I know.  On the other hand though, you do have to realize that a child is going to be a bit louder and sometimes act out a bit ... but, then again, there are a lot of adults that we have to make allowances for that are loud and act rude also.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN