Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Back-to-School Shortcut #7: Think Outside the Traditional Lunch Box

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 5:02 PM
  • 592 Replies

Lunch Time!

Brown-bagging it can get old fast, whether you're making the same-old sandwich for your grade schooler day after day, or throwing together the same yogurt, fruit and bagel for your own midday meal. Take inspiration from Japanese -style bento boxes and get creative with your family's lunches. Fill them with whatever appeals! Tiny crackers, rice, small triangles of bread and cheese, berries, olives, rolled-up ham or turkey, egg salad or hard-cooked egg slices, chopped veggies - the possibilities are endless.

DIY ALTERNATIVE: Specialized bento kits can be purchased in stores or online, or you make your own using a snap-lid plastic container and some reusable silicone cupcake liners.

What do you make for your kids' lunches - or your own?

school bus

Have a great school year!

Click here to start from the beginning and play again! >>

One mom who replies to all 7 of our Back to School posts will win a $500 gift card!

The Giveaway Rules 
The Back to School Giveaway starts 8/12/2013 at 8am (ET) and ends 8/31/2013 at 11pm (ET) (the "Giveaway Period"). Enter by replying to the 7 Back to School Posts associated with the giveaway with an appropriate comment during the Giveaway Period. Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning. One winner will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive a $500 gift card to Target, Walmart or amazon.com. The random drawing shall occur on or about 9/7/2013. No Purchase Necessary. Open to US, DC, and PR residents 16 years and older. Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.

by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momoftwinkies
by Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 5:54 PM
2 moms liked this
The thermos is the best thing ever created for lunchboxes. My babies take alfredo, oatmeal, soups, etc...everyday.
countrygirlkat
by Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 6:26 PM

My kids love burritos and homemade pizza pockets for school lunch. 

SuperPickle
by Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 6:40 PM

My boys like to have a hot item in their lunches so we bought nice thermoses to send with them. My oldest likes chili the best, my middle son likes burritos or "hot pockets"  or his FAVORITE is ham and scalloped potatoes!  This is my youngests first year with lunches so we will see what he prefers. He LOVES ham and cheese with spinach and a carrot all rolled up in a tortilla so I have a feeling that might be a staple LOL

Marge2624
by Marge on Aug. 12, 2013 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Thermoses have been a lifesaver for us, esp. with my fussy 7 yr. old.  Both of my girls like to take tossed salad, too.  I just get small containers to put the dressing on the side.

MOM2DMSD
by New Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 12:36 AM
It's been a battle. But I've gotten tons of ideas from Pinterest as well as on CM. My kids are loving pepperoni and mozzarella sandwiches with light mayo. I try to change it up a bit so they don't get tired of the same stuff. They get to pick their drink and what piece of fruit they want.
bingogurl
by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 12:58 AM
2 moms liked this
My kids eat lunch at school. I create an after school snack of cheese, fruit and crackers to last them until dinner.
bbysqd
by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 1:02 AM
My kids are such picky eaters. I'm always trying to find something new for them to eat.
ds like ritz and pepperoni, chips and an apple.
dd likes ham, cheese, ritz and grapes
funmommy123
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 1:11 AM
1 mom liked this
My kids has always had school lunch, since they get it for free. This year though, we might have to look into getting them lunch boxes & packing their food. We will know after the first week of school. If they will nwed home lunches, then I'll look around to see which lunch boxes are best & lunch ideas. Actually, I'm going to read through this & see what other moms are doing, so I will kind of have an idea.
Tink0711
by Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 1:25 AM
DD likes sushi. I don't trust the store bought stuff, so she usually gets tuna salad & crackers if she takes a lunch (she usually gets school lunches).
-pepperidge-
by New Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 1:26 AM

My son is spoiled with his food choices! He can take anything from a typical sammy or wrap to pasta or tacos!

we dont just stick to the norm :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)