Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Your baby's first word

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 10:11 PM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this
My DD turned 6 months today! She started saying 'a new new new new' this morning and hasn't stopped lol. Obviously she's just making mimicking noises but when do babies start connecting words with meanings?
What was your baby's first word? :)
by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
artemisa3001
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Thank you

dingysfamily
by Suzi on Aug. 15, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Both my natural babies first words were 'hi'!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 15, 2013 at 4:46 PM
My daughters was mama. She was 6 months as well. Was sitting in her bouncy seat. I picked her up, and she looked up and said "mama".

Before that she'd say

"mamamamamamanamamamamamananamananananama"

but that was just babbling lol

After that it was Hi, then, Dada. Then baba.
storkradio193
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

dada (but really it meant "servant come bring me what I need")

jlmc
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Mine just turned 5 months and he never stops babbling. He lays around and goes adadadadadadada all day. Agoo and little screeches pop out too amongst other UN recognizable words it's so cute. I cannot wait until he learns the meaning of things! Baby voices are the cutest.
JamieBue38
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this

haha, my dd loves the screeching. sometimes my ears ring for awhile lol :)

Quoting jlmc:

Mine just turned 5 months and he never stops babbling. He lays around and goes adadadadadadada all day. Agoo and little screeches pop out too amongst other UN recognizable words it's so cute. I cannot wait until he learns the meaning of things! Baby voices are the cutest.

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this
My oldest first word was stop, the next dada, the next was peas, the next boop, next was mama, next was ow, the last was mama, although the nurses swear she came out screaming mama, she says it very clearly and started about 5 month. She says mama, night night, dads, bubs, baba and hey, and her name.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PaxtonKy
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 1:56 PM
At 8 months he said Mama, then baba, dada, and hi.
Now he is 22 months and has my love of words! He says 'mama cleans up messes', 'paci's are for babies, I'm a big boy!'...he will try to repeat every single word I say. I love his cute little voice!
arigdon4
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 2:30 PM

he signed "Milk" around 5 mo and said "mama" (with purpose) around 6 mo.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 16, 2013 at 2:42 PM

#1: Honestly, I don't remember off the top of my head, but I'll edit if I remember.

#2: "yeah".  Literally, and that was all she said for MONTHS; we haven't been able to get her to stop talking since. lol  She mispronounced a lot for a long time and still doesn't speak as properly as I'd like, but she also mispronounced things like football and galmorous, things that were important to her, in her early months and years of learning to speak.

#3: This one just kind of started saying several words, but several months later than the first two; they included juice, apple, and book; they were mostly food related like cup, spoon, etc.

#4: Nee-Nee.  I used to ask, "Do you need to nurse?"  Well, once this one was screaming bloody murder and I couldn't get the diaper off and back on and the onesie snapped up "fast enough", so he screamed "Nee-Nee", meaning that he needed to nurse.  It stuck.  He never called it that again; he never called it anything again, but he knew what he was talking about and he made sure I did too.

I know some are not going to count these as first words, but I do.  Some later, not mispronounced, first words included "I love you"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)