Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

am i supposed to feed and watch everyones kids!!!!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

What do you do with a neighbor kid that is really nice?  He plays with my dd's (age 4 and 2) well.  Whenever we are home he comes over and wants to play with my dd's- no problem with that. We have no fence, so my dd's have to stay near the house, cuz I need to stay inside to get stuff done - this is why I am home. LOL

He wants me to stay outside and play with them or go to the park with them and he constantly is asking for snacks and drinks!!! He has Williams syndrome and I don't know what to say to him. I don't mind if they play but my dd's to listen to me and I am tired of feeding him!! I would give him snack if my dd's had one, but he just blatantly asks. It is starting to get annoying. LOL

They have played in the house, and I just ended up feeding him and cleaning up that mess instead of doing what I need to do.  I can't leave my kids out alone - they are too young.  If I wanted to play at the park with them I would go, but I have mom stuff to do to.  LOL

He is a really nice kid, so...

What do you say? 

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 15, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 15, 2013 at 4:19 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 15, 2013 at 5:08 PM

BUMP!

NDADanceMom
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Why don't you talk to his mom about trading responsibilities. Ask her if 1/3 of the time the kids can be in her care so you can get things done. Explain to her what you told us.
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I would just tell him that you don't have a snack for him at the moment.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 15, 2013 at 11:12 PM
When a kid gets annoying each and every time they come over, I ban them from visiting my house. If a parent has a problem with it, I am more than happy to let them know. A shared snack once in awhile is fine, but not every visit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WSMother
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:14 PM
4 moms liked this

Hi!
First off, I want to say that I understand the position you are in. I am a busy mom myself and often have a swarm of kids at my house and it can be overwhelming.
Someone was reading your post and mentioned it to me because I have a son with Williams Syndrome.
I can tell you that WS kids are very social, it's true, and they can be so very sweet but it is also not uncommon for them to be impulsive. It does not suprrise me that this kiddo would just come out and ask you for a snack. It also does not surprise me that he would ask more than once as WS kids can perseverate on things.
It sounds like you do not want to be mean but that you have your hands full. My advice would be to be direct but nice to him and just tell him  that you do not have any snacks for him. Believe me, he is not trying to be rude. WS kids can be so very polite but don't always pick up on subtle social cues.
The other thing I would say is to talk to his parents about him as well as Williams Syndrome. A wonderful resource to learn about it is the WSA website @ www.williams-syndrome.org. I think it would be so awesome if you would take the trouble to learn a bit about it (I know you are busy) because it is very rare. You might also mention the site to the parents as they may not even be aware themselves and could use the support. 
I hope this helps. :) 

bzzybeemomof3
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I feed about 6-10 extra kids almost daily in the summer time. lol I dont have issues with it at all.

But if you do, talk to the parents about it. Not the child.

JamieBue38
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I used to be a before/after school nanny for some kids, one day a random boy just climbed into my car when I picked them up from school, I dropped him off at home and just made up an excuse that they didn't have play date time that day. When I confronted the kids (I nanny) parents, they told me he likes to come over a lot and that he could one day a week, he would do the same thing, ask for snacks, ask to borrow the kids toys, ask if he could spend the night, it's not my house so I didn't know what to say!!! lol, anyway one day he forgot to tell his dad he came over and then his dad grounded him from play dates, problem solved ;) I would tell his parents to pack him a snack and that you're willing to let them play in the house, but if they want to leave, you and his parents can trade responsibility for watching them at parks and such. Otherwise just tell him 'I don't want to ruin your dinner' or something like that when he asks for snacks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Kindness is free. He will remember it when he grows up. The friendship he has with your child means a lot more to him than you know. Consider it a good deed and remember that when you give you get back. Get a huge bunch of cheap snacks from Costco and tell him that's all you have. Make a huge batch of kool aid and serve that.

Quoting Anonymous:

What do you do with a neighbor kid that is really nice?  He plays with my dd's (age 4 and 2) well.  Whenever we are home he comes over and wants to play with my dd's- no problem with that. We have no fence, so my dd's have to stay near the house, cuz I need to stay inside to get stuff done - this is why I am home. LOL

He wants me to stay outside and play with them or go to the park with them and he constantly is asking for snacks and drinks!!! He has Williams syndrome and I don't know what to say to him. I don't mind if they play but my dd's to listen to me and I am tired of feeding him!! I would give him snack if my dd's had one, but he just blatantly asks. It is starting to get annoying. LOL

They have played in the house, and I just ended up feeding him and cleaning up that mess instead of doing what I need to do.  I can't leave my kids out alone - they are too young.  If I wanted to play at the park with them I would go, but I have mom stuff to do to.  LOL

He is a really nice kid, so...

What do you say? 

ChicatSixty
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Sweetheart, this is not a good time to come visitng. Let me call your mom and we'll figure out a day you can come over.

ThE END.

He needs boundries. So does his mother.

Your home IS your castle and like the Queen of England, you get to pick you comes trotting inside those front doors.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)