Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

What is your view on spankings?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 200 Replies
4 moms liked this

My husband and I both agree on how to discipline our children, which includes a spanking as a last resort. All the news articles I see online suggest horrible things such as psychological problems.

He and I were both spanked as kids and we're fine! I actually think kids today have MORE issues than the older generations...Are we stuck in the past with these views?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:57 PM

BUMP!

lilwaterlily
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:11 PM
27 moms liked this

I agree with you and your husband.  Spanking as a last resort, is not abuse.  Kids who are spanked for every little thing, sure, I could understand them having mental issues, But the occasional, Setting them straight spanking, won't hurt more than their behind and it's guaranteed to get their attention.  I agree, I had spankings as a child, and me and my siblings are mentally sound.  I even had a doctor tell me to spank my toddler, at least one good pop, if he was doing something  that could cause harm to himself or someone else.  He said that reserving the spanking to the most important things, especially dangerous things, would make it stand out in his mind.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this

That is exactly how we feel. It works for us, and i see parents who would never ever lay a hand on their kids and their kids are awful! My husband and i refuse to raise brats. Sometimes i feel like we are stuck in the dark ages when i read things that say kids grow up to be violent. Thank you for your honest response :)

Quoting lilwaterlily:

I agree with you and your husband.  Spanking as a last resort, is not abuse.  Kids who are spanked for every little thing, sure, I could understand them having mental issues, But the occasional, Setting them straight spanking, won't hurt more than their behind and it's guaranteed to get their attention.  I agree, I had spankings as a child, and me and my siblings are mentally sound.  I even had a doctor tell me to spank my toddler, at least one good pop, if he was doing something  that could cause harm to himself or someone else.  He said that reserving the spanking to the most important things, especially dangerous things, would make it stand out in his mind.

lilwaterlily
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:04 PM
2 moms liked this

Well, I'm glad to see someone of like mind.  I'm new to this site and looking for some friends.  Until recently, I was the one working.  My husband started working 12 hour shifts on 3rd, so I'm pretty bored out of my mind here.  Not used to being home so much, and I thought a few online friends might be a good idea. Friend me if you like.  :  )

elkmomma
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:09 PM
4 moms liked this

Nope.  I've seen a few kids and some of their parents who need a good butt whooping to set them strait.  

JTE11
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm with you. I use spanking but judiciously.

ajdahd13
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:11 PM
7 moms liked this
DH and I spank. We don't let random people, who don't even know our children, get a say in how we raise them, and how we discipline.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I agree with you! I know one woman who has started smacking her 1 and a half year old...and her daughter has learned to smack her mother in the face....but she smacks her daughter for everything. That, i feel, is very unnecessary. I think kids are very smart. If you only spank as the last resort, they learn and will likely rarely, if ever, need a spanking again. My kids learned after one. 

Quoting elkmomma:

Nope.  I've seen a few kids and some of their parents who need a good butt whooping to set them strait.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, i agree!

Quoting ajdahd13:

DH and I spank. We don't let random people, who don't even know our children, get a say in how we raise them, and how we discipline.

childlifecoach
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 12:15 AM
2 moms liked this

Nothing wrong with an ocassional whack on the bottom ... but as already stated not an every day for every issue thing.   Just make sure you are spanking out of discipline and not anger  ... I almost spanked my second child  out of pure anger and it scared me    .... I left her with my spouse and walked for an hour until I was no longer angry.  Can't imagine how horrible we would have both felt if I hadn't caught myself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)