Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

do you think it should be allowed for upper management, managers, supervisors and employees to be friends on facebook?!?!

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:31 AM
  • 53 Replies

a few weeks ago i made a post in regards to which is more draining, your job or your co-workers?

it had been mentioned in a post to go to managment in regards to fellow co-workers trashing others that they were "friends" with outside of work  at work.

boy did that backfire in my face! after doing a little research i found out that not only is upper management but everyone from managers clear down the line to employees on my level are all friends on facebook!

i have worked for companies that won't hire family members, ones that if they do, don't allow them to work in the same dept. and companies that have transfered out employees if two employees of different ranks are dating or married.

so my question is do you agree that there should be a strict policy in which employees of different ranks should not be allowed to be friends on facebook just as well?!?!

i feel that it is a huge violation especially in regards to repremanding issues!

by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jadedcynic
by Nerdalicious on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:32 AM
8 moms liked this

I use LinkedIn for business contacts, facebook for personal contacts. Period.

lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:38 AM
3 moms liked this

Its a PUBLIC social forum.Don't post shit you wouldn't want the entire world to read. So no I don't agree with having rules regarding friends on facebook. If you were smart you wouldn't post shit there that may offend others !

starr377
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:44 AM

you're missing my point.  do you feel that employees of different ranks being friends on facebook jepordizes repremanding issues at work regardless of what the issue is?

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Its a PUBLIC social forum.Don't post shit you wouldn't want the entire world to read. So no I don't agree with having rules regarding friends on facebook. If you were smart you wouldn't post shit there that may offend others !

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:54 AM
4 moms liked this
Personally I think it's unprofessional. I know people in my company that are friends with supervisors on Facebook. I wouldn't do that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Believe it or not, some people are fully capable of separating their personal and professional relationships. I'm a supervisor of a few women who are also my friends and if they do something at work that requires I reprimand them, I do so, and I do so as respectfully as I would any other subordinate. I'm clear before I do, however, that I'm acting in my official capacity so there's no doubt as to what's taking place. If it's something serious, I'll bring in MY supervisor to act as a witness, but I've never had to do that with any of them. On FB or when we're just hanging out as friends, however, I'm careful to keep conversations friendly only, never discussing work issues. That helps to keep things separate, too.

lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Yes I do think its ok. If you know who your FB friends are then you know not to post stupid or offensive stuff

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM

It's a free country, you can be friends with anyone you want on facebook.  That being said, it may not always be a good idea. These social media sites, are public, public, public no matter what settings you may have.  Be careful when posting things, because once it is there, it is there forever.

Clairwil
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Quoting starr377:

do you agree that there should be a strict policy in which employees of different ranks should not be allowed to be friends on facebook just as well?!?!

No.

In the military you may have regulations about 'fraternising' between ranks,

(See: http://www.defense.gov/specials/fraternization/)

But in the corporate world the tendency is, if anything, towards greater communication and flattening hierarchies.

wannabgypsy
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:19 PM

wow open mouth insert foot!!  i was putting a pic on facebook when my manager called and asked why i was on facebook during work?? i was embarrassed but then i thought   hey  if he could read what  i wrote he was on face book too!! He  laughed and said i dont care i just saw that you were on facebook and let me know it!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:32 PM
People should not be stupid enough to trash anyone they work with on public facebook. Idiots out there.
Friends one thing. Trashing people online you deserve consequences.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN