Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

do you think it should be allowed for upper management, managers, supervisors and employees to be friends on facebook?!?!

Posted by   + Show Post

a few weeks ago i made a post in regards to which is more draining, your job or your co-workers?

it had been mentioned in a post to go to managment in regards to fellow co-workers trashing others that they were "friends" with outside of work  at work.

boy did that backfire in my face! after doing a little research i found out that not only is upper management but everyone from managers clear down the line to employees on my level are all friends on facebook!

i have worked for companies that won't hire family members, ones that if they do, don't allow them to work in the same dept. and companies that have transfered out employees if two employees of different ranks are dating or married.

so my question is do you agree that there should be a strict policy in which employees of different ranks should not be allowed to be friends on facebook just as well?!?!

i feel that it is a huge violation especially in regards to repremanding issues!

by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:31 AM
Replies (21-30):
lga1965
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

No, it wouldn't be a good idea at all. The only people I "friend" on Facebook are relatives and friends , the nice people, those who who are civilized and not radical right wingers.LOL. Seriously, its not good to allow everyone to be on your friends list. Be selective and choosy. Then you can avoid all kinds of problems and stress.

turtlesquish23
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:58 AM
I'm friends with my bosses on Facebook and my co-workers too. I don't post anything I wouldn't want them to see
smorgan865
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:02 AM
I sometimes rant about work on my Facebook, so if never be friends with my bosses above me. I am however friends with most of my coworkers, even the couple artists I have as subordinates. Most if us socialize outside of work as well.

I have my bosses, coworkers, and clients on LinkedIn.
baxter386
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:15 AM
It all depends on how well you get along with your superiors and co-workers. Also remember watch what you post, it can come back to haunt you.
MinglingMom
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it depends. I work for my family's business so my situation is different. However, at my last job, there is NO WAY I would be FB friends with my boss, and if I even considered it for a second, I would restrict what they could see. I just think it's inappropriate and unprofessional. Leave work relationships at work (or on LinkedIn) because some people REALLY cannot separate the two.

Derbyshirewitch
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I'm living with a guy that used to work for me. What's the problem?

Love and light,

Caroline x

Derbyshirewitch

DeeMD82
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Being friends on Facebook doesn't automatically make you friends.

Also just because your bosses, upper management or whatever aren't on your facebook doesn't mean they don't know what going on with your facebook.  I know someone that got fired for posting work related stuff because someone told a supervisor what he was posting

LYO
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:12 PM

IMO the more people know about you, the more vulnerable you are.  There are obvious things you should never post in your FB.  Only idiots post them.  There are other things you do not know that it could be used against you until it becomes an issue.  (e.g. befriending a person who is not an american citizen in your FB and you are fired because it became an issue during background check - This is not hypothetical. This really happened.)  If you want to keep climbing the ladder, do not befriend your boss or co-workers in FB.

EbonySnow
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I guess I don't know

the3Rs
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:52 PM

No, I really don't agree.  I am facebook friends with the President of my company (who I know well) on down to VPs, Directors, Managers, and employees.  Some of whom are or have been direct managers.  Despite that, some mutual colleagues/facebook friends have been let go.  Being facebook friends didn't get in the way at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN