Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

do you think it should be allowed for upper management, managers, supervisors and employees to be friends on facebook?!?!

Posted by   + Show Post

a few weeks ago i made a post in regards to which is more draining, your job or your co-workers?

it had been mentioned in a post to go to managment in regards to fellow co-workers trashing others that they were "friends" with outside of work  at work.

boy did that backfire in my face! after doing a little research i found out that not only is upper management but everyone from managers clear down the line to employees on my level are all friends on facebook!

i have worked for companies that won't hire family members, ones that if they do, don't allow them to work in the same dept. and companies that have transfered out employees if two employees of different ranks are dating or married.

so my question is do you agree that there should be a strict policy in which employees of different ranks should not be allowed to be friends on facebook just as well?!?!

i feel that it is a huge violation especially in regards to repremanding issues!

by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:31 AM
Replies (31-40):
Twix.Leigh
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:54 PM
I don't see the correlation between working together and having employees or Cowper's on your Facebook. I think jobs should not have the right to determine who you can and can not be friends with, IRL or social networking.
LilyofPhilly
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I think management should maintain reasonable boundaries.
Basherte
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I don't know that I feel it is right for a company to require anything of you during your off time.

CafeMom Tickers
Numom61507
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:32 PM

There are some companies now that require you to friend your bosses so they can monitor you. These are mostly for companies who want their employees to project a certain image I guess.

Basherte
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:34 PM

I don't tend to care who my friends on fb are. I speak my mind.

If my beliefs or thoughts or feelings offend someone, that is their problem not really mine. I don't purposefully go on there to offend anyone, and all I'm really doing is sharing what I feel, think and believe.

I'm not pc. I don't try to be pc. A lot of my friends on fb post things about their religion. I don't tend to comment on those because I don't believe the same way they do. They have as much right to post religious stuff on fb as I do. If I get offended about them talking about god or jesus or any other religion, then that's on me.Not them. They shouldn't be required to NOT post on their beliefs about god just because it could potentially offend me. That's ridiculous.

CafeMom Tickers
SMInProgress
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this

As the boss, sure! Give me more reason to bust you for calling in sick when you went on a day date to the beach:) LOL

kzoboe
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:56 PM

This.

I'd like to work with you!  ;-) 

Quoting Anonymous:

Believe it or not, some people are fully capable of separating their personal and professional relationships. I'm a supervisor of a few women who are also my friends and if they do something at work that requires I reprimand them, I do so, and I do so as respectfully as I would any other subordinate. I'm clear before I do, however, that I'm acting in my official capacity so there's no doubt as to what's taking place. If it's something serious, I'll bring in MY supervisor to act as a witness, but I've never had to do that with any of them. On FB or when we're just hanging out as friends, however, I'm careful to keep conversations friendly only, never discussing work issues. That helps to keep things separate, too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:49 PM

You have to accept friends on FB for the most part, so I'm not sure how you weren't aware those people could see your feed. 

Personally, I would never friend a coworker whether that person was a manager, subordinate or peer, unless I was actually friends with them outside of work. And frankly, I would never be friends with a manager or subordinate outside of work, so that cuts out 90% of the problem right there. And I'd think twice before becoming friends with a peer outside of work - 99% of the problem. 

Fraternizing with people outside of work is just a really, really, really bad idea. So is dating coworkers. Never get your meat where you make your bread, as my Dad used to say. 

starr377
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:09 AM

you do not have to accept anyone as a friend on FB. i have not nor ever will become "friends" with co-workers at any job and i feel there should be a strict policy with doing so. even if they are a friend or family member, especially if they are of different ranks. they should delete each other.

too many people can not seperate the two. most people revolve their lives around FB merely for the status. how many "friends" they can brag about having.

though i did not put it in the original post, management and supervisor were among those who were trashing fellow co-worker/friends and there were also some other maijor issues going on that needed to be addressed that my co-workers were also complaining about. only it all backfired on me.

it wasn't until after that that i went on FB and looked up a few co-workers names that i found out that they are all "friends" on there including upper level management. and truly believe that repremanding a "friend" is not something they were capable of doing!

i am totally appalled by this lack of professionalizam!

Quoting Anonymous:

You have to accept friends on FB for the most part, so I'm not sure how you weren't aware those people could see your feed. 

Personally, I would never friend a coworker whether that person was a manager, subordinate or peer, unless I was actually friends with them outside of work. And frankly, I would never be friends with a manager or subordinate outside of work, so that cuts out 90% of the problem right there. And I'd think twice before becoming friends with a peer outside of work - 99% of the problem. 

Fraternizing with people outside of work is just a really, really, really bad idea. So is dating coworkers. Never get your meat where you make your bread, as my Dad used to say. 

Lorelai_Nicole
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:13 AM
Nope, I don't agree with you. I am friends with both my bosses and my subordinates on FB. We know how I separate the work from the friendship.

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 13 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 9 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 5 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David 04-12-2012 - 16 months old
Angela Victoria 06-09-1996 - 17 years old (niece) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN