Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

do you think it should be allowed for upper management, managers, supervisors and employees to be friends on facebook?!?!

Posted by   + Show Post

a few weeks ago i made a post in regards to which is more draining, your job or your co-workers?

it had been mentioned in a post to go to managment in regards to fellow co-workers trashing others that they were "friends" with outside of work  at work.

boy did that backfire in my face! after doing a little research i found out that not only is upper management but everyone from managers clear down the line to employees on my level are all friends on facebook!

i have worked for companies that won't hire family members, ones that if they do, don't allow them to work in the same dept. and companies that have transfered out employees if two employees of different ranks are dating or married.

so my question is do you agree that there should be a strict policy in which employees of different ranks should not be allowed to be friends on facebook just as well?!?!

i feel that it is a huge violation especially in regards to repremanding issues!

by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:31 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Just my opinion, and you're free to have yours:

I don't think it's appropriate and the whole friending your coworkers and boss on social media thing was originally propaganda by the social media companies to make their sites more popular.  I also think it's silly to help someone get a job simply because you like them or are familiar with them online.  I think it is a loophole in so-called equal employment hiring.  How is it equal if you already know the person's gender, race, religious and political views, etc. before you hire them? Hiring should be based on merits like skills and work ethic. Anyone can manage their image on social media so there's also no greater chance of really getting to know someone anymore.  Not only that, privacy settings are pretty obvious when you feel obligated to accept a friend request from a boss or coworker but then basically have no activity on your account, so you are forced to either fake your image or face those people when they start to notice why they're on your restricted or acquaintance settings.  It's like introducing a similar clique/popularity/high school element into your work life.  I've seen some pages where their profile pic is of them in a bikini.  Is it ever appropriate for your boss or coworkers to see you in a bikini?  In the workplace, it would invite sexual harassment and would get you fired. I'm sure the boss and some coworkers might enjoy the pic, but it's still not professional.

LinkedIn is even worse, in my opinion, because people will copy elements from your resume and compare theirs with yours, which may cause jealousy and resentment from fellow coworkers who might have discovered you have only 2 years of experience or only have an associate's degree while you both are in the same position or pay grade. Recommendations on it can be fake as well.  If anything, it seems to permit more less qualified people into a job simply because they networked and not because of their merits.  I know several people who have no experience and no skills in the job for which they were hired, and it severely impacted productivity and caused resentment among coworkers who had to pick up their slack.  Yes, LInkedIn is a cheap way for recruiters not to have to pay a fee to view resumes, but you get what you pay for in my opinion -- a bunch of fake, unqualified people who are just good at managing their reputations.

Social media should be about fun, being free to be yourself, and a time to relax and share some humor and personal news. If you're going to use social media for networking, I would use two separate accounts -- maybe FB for work and Myspace for everything else.

zeesmuse
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I.don't.have.a.problem.with.it...I.DO.have.a.problem.with.companies.demanding.you.be.friends.and.DEMANDING

that.you.log.on.at.work.or.give.them.your.password.so.they.can.'check.you.out'...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have FB however my boss will go out to dinner, do family things outside of work w/other co workers, have drinks after work, to me that's not right esp when it comes reviews, raises, how can she be fair?  When I was in HR I never did anything outside of work w/anyone nor would I befriend them on a social site either.

My answer to your question is this; I agree that there should be a strict policy!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:03 PM

LOVE your reply!!  Where I work its majority of family and close knit friends that work there, you actually have to know someone to get in I got in through a temp agency but I am pretty certain my time is numbered due to someone gf just had a baby and needs a job to help w/daycare costs...they are like that there, but, for now, I have to grin and bear it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Just my opinion, and you're free to have yours:

I don't think it's appropriate and the whole friending your coworkers and boss on social media thing was originally propaganda by the social media companies to make their sites more popular.  I also think it's silly to help someone get a job simply because you like them or are familiar with them online.  I think it is a loophole in so-called equal employment hiring.  How is it equal if you already know the person's gender, race, religious and political views, etc. before you hire them? Hiring should be based on merits like skills and work ethic. Anyone can manage their image on social media so there's also no greater chance of really getting to know someone anymore.  Not only that, privacy settings are pretty obvious when you feel obligated to accept a friend request from a boss or coworker but then basically have no activity on your account, so you are forced to either fake your image or face those people when they start to notice why they're on your restricted or acquaintance settings.  It's like introducing a similar clique/popularity/high school element into your work life.  I've seen some pages where their profile pic is of them in a bikini.  Is it ever appropriate for your boss or coworkers to see you in a bikini?  In the workplace, it would invite sexual harassment and would get you fired. I'm sure the boss and some coworkers might enjoy the pic, but it's still not professional.

LinkedIn is even worse, in my opinion, because people will copy elements from your resume and compare theirs with yours, which may cause jealousy and resentment from fellow coworkers who might have discovered you have only 2 years of experience or only have an associate's degree while you both are in the same position or pay grade. Recommendations on it can be fake as well.  If anything, it seems to permit more less qualified people into a job simply because they networked and not because of their merits.  I know several people who have no experience and no skills in the job for which they were hired, and it severely impacted productivity and caused resentment among coworkers who had to pick up their slack.  Yes, LInkedIn is a cheap way for recruiters not to have to pay a fee to view resumes, but you get what you pay for in my opinion -- a bunch of fake, unqualified people who are just good at managing their reputations.

Social media should be about fun, being free to be yourself, and a time to relax and share some humor and personal news. If you're going to use social media for networking, I would use two separate accounts -- maybe FB for work and Myspace for everything else.

alc4evermom
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think mgmt should be allowed to be friends on Facebook with lower entry level associates.  

AppleTechMom
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Its not a policy where I work. I work for Apple. I'm not friends with anyone I work with on Facebook. I don't feel that my personal business is any of theirs. I have heard of some companies asking for your information so they can find you and see what you post. I feel that this is a violation of your right to privacy. If they want to be friends then so be it but they shouldn't allow them to bash co-workers on Facebook and not have an consequences for it. It might be in their personal time but they also might hurt the company in the process. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 24, 2013 at 5:02 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

LOVE your reply!!  Where I work its majority of family and close knit friends that work there, you actually have to know someone to get in I got in through a temp agency but I am pretty certain my time is numbered due to someone gf just had a baby and needs a job to help w/daycare costs...they are like that there, but, for now, I have to grin and bear it. 

Oh lord, don't get me started.... One idiot I worked with got the job because he was gay and had fake recommendations on LinkedIn (had to fill a quota I guess) but otherwise had no relevant experience whatsoever. He was hired for technically demanding computer job but his only job experience was as coffee barista.  He would sit at his desk browsing the Internet all day.  Then, one day he shares his big discovery with me and a few others -- He found a "neat little program called Microsoft Word that like lets you type."  They didn't want to fire him because they were afraid of a discrimination lawsuit since he was gay (and he played the gay card well), so they just pay him to sit there and stay out of people's way.

Another idiot I worked with would bang on her computer keyboard like an angry monkey anytime she couldn't print.  She couldn't print because she never reloaded the paper tray. She only got the job because a friend of hers recommended her for the job.  She would always talk behind people's backs but on her FB page, she made sure she looked like an angel.

Several people got hired because family members worked there, and they needed a summer job but had no experience.

Someone else I know got hired for a job without any experience even though the job required at least one year of clinical experience only because she sucked up majorly to one person when she found out where she worked.  I feel sorry for anyone under her care because she could barely speak English and had no clue what the difference was between blood pressure and sinus pressure.  She put on her job application that she worked for Google because she used the search engine. 

These are the idiots people have to work with. No wonder there are disgruntled worker mental breakdowns!

KDA1202
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this
FB is like running around topless. If you put the twins on display, then don't be surprised when they look and comment.
Kristi831
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I'm not friends on Facebook with any of my superiors at work.  I think it's a bad idea.  I am Facebook friends with a couple of co-workers, but I never post anything about work, unless it's something generic along the lines of, "Had a busy day," or something like that. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Nope. I have my boss as a friend on FB, as do my co-workers. She reprimands us at work if needs be (which isn't often) but it doesn't affect our friendship outside of work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN