Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Teacher Instructed Students to Hit the Class ‘Bully’?!

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:02 AM
  • 25 Replies

Teacher Gets Jail Time After Instructing Students to Hit the Class ‘Bully’

by Nicole Fabian-Weber 

jailCynthia Ambrose was an elementary school teacher from San Antonio, Texas. Why was she a teacher and not one anymore? Because Ambrose encouraged her students to line up and hit Aiden Neely, a 6-year-old who was "showing signs of being a bully," as hard as they could so he could see "what it feels like to be a bully." And, being children, they obliged. The assault on Neely stopped after the seventh kid hit him so hard in the back of the head that he began to cry. Yes, this was under the supervision of a teacher.

After being fired from her job, Ambrose was convicted of the misdemeanor charge "official oppression" by a jury, and now she's been sentenced to 30 days in jail. Just or totally out of line?

I'd say this, coupled with the fact that Ambrose will never work as a teacher again, is an appropriate punishment. To think of what all of those children must have felt like that day -- scared, humiliated, confused -- while under the supervision of Ambrose, a teacher, is nauseating. Bullying is obviously a real problem, and it needs to be dealt with, but how Ambrose went about the situation was wrong, and she deserves to be punished for that.

Hopefully, during the 30 days this woman is in prison, she'll sit and really think about what she did. Aiden Neely should have had repercussions if he were being a bully, but not like that. If anyone should know that "an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind," it's a teacher.

Do you think this is an appropriate punishment for Cynthia Ambrose?

by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ajdahd13
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:04 AM
5 moms liked this

No it's not an appropriate punishment, she should serve longer. She basically physically abused that little boy. 

casseopeia
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:09 AM
5 moms liked this

This is EXACTLY how you treat a bully.  Children and society are too coddled.  When did people become such pitiful sheep unable to fight back?  A bully can't exist without a victim.

My father was in the military and taught me and my siblings hand-to-hand combat techniques to fight off bullies.  It works.  Most are cowardly and faced with a kid that fights back, they will back down like the cowards that they are.

That teacher was teaching those children that you CAN fight off a bully.  She was empowering them.  Sad that this has to be seen through the soft, marshmallow eyes of today's society.

Nicole Fabian-Weber is a perfect example of exactly what is wrong with society today.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:43 AM
My SIL beat up the neighbor boy who bullied her, lol. That is the way things happened 40 years ago. Everyone moved on. Of course neither said anything to the parents. My SIL told her parents just a few years ago. Dh witnessed the fight. MIL and FIL were proud of her.

Quoting casseopeia:

This is EXACTLY how you treat a bully.  Children and society are too coddled.  When did people become such pitiful sheep unable to fight back?  A bully can't exist without a victim.

My father was in the military and taught me and my siblings hand-to-hand combat techniques to fight off bullies.  It works.  Most are cowardly and faced with a kid that fights back, they will back down like the cowards that they are.

That teacher was teaching those children that you CAN fight off a bully.  She was empowering them.  Sad that this has to be seen through the soft, marshmallow eyes of today's society.

Nicole Fabian-Weber is a perfect example of exactly what is wrong with society today.

happinessforyou
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I just wish at least 1 of those kids would have hauled off and slugged that kid without the teacher's involvement! :)

brooke_819
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:39 PM

these were 6 year old children, why would anyone think this is appropriate? i can't imagine what i would do if this happened to my child especially at such a young age. kindof defeats the purpose of trying to teach a bully not to put his hands on anyone by making every other child hit him. i wonder is he really bullying the other kids or is that just her defense when asked why she would do such a horrible thing? violence is never the answer IMO, to me putting your hands on someone is trashy, you would think a teacher would know better then to think this was an issue for her to solve, the parents should have been told what was going on with their son, if it's even true then they could handle it. he's six. i'm sure they could have dealt with it on their own without a teacher taking it in her own hands in this way, how would she know if the other children's parents would approve of her making their kids hit another child? hurting him and making him cry? most parents wouldn't be so proud of that either. it's one thing to defend yourself, intentionally hurting someone is not okay.

PinkButterfly66
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:52 PM
2 moms liked this

The appropriate punishment for this 6 y/o was to take him to the office and let the vice principal deal with him, not let his classmates gang up on him.  The woman deserves to be fired and sent to jail.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:17 PM
You make me sick. Seriously. I can not see how you think it's ok to let a bunch of children gang up on a fellow classmate, when they're all 5/6 years old. Should parents teach their kids to fight back? ABSOLUTLEY. Should an entire class do it? No!

Good luck raising the next prison inmates casseopeia.

Quoting casseopeia:

Momofmenagerie
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Apparently, she's witnessed the lack of school " intolerance" of bullying. The many schools who tout anti- bullying campaigns turn a blind eye when it actually happens. Do I believe that her attempt at curtailing the bully in her classroom was correct and just ? No.

Do I believe she should have been jailed... Or even fired? A BIG FAT NO!!'

A suspension would have been enough. All she misguidedly tried to do was what the school adminstration most likely said THEY'D take care of but don't!

Mother's here are constantly up in arms about bullying in schools, online, on the school bus... Here a teacher overkills it because the kid cried ( it wasn't a concussion!) and the "imagine the humiliation " part was just eloquent... Apparently that last kid wasn't embarrassed at all. The only humiliation truly felt was by the child considered a bully... Then later, the school, and then the teacher.

AGAIN, probably because she knew the administration would not do what they say they will do in order to curtail and eventually stop bullying in their school.

No my son was neither a bully or bullied much. The two times the same boys did give him a hard time at recess, a strongly worded yet polite email to please get a handle on the situation was all it took.

Not so in many schools according to what I read here.

I'll back her. The school, evidently has let victims down regularly or she would most likely have not taken this course of action.

Eye for an Eye if no other rules are working. SHE did not lay a hand on him.
Momofmenagerie
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:27 PM
It wasn't the whole class... Just seven, the seventh one is who made the point. There was no need for a further lesson after seven.

Quoting Anonymous:

You make me sick. Seriously. I can not see how you think it's ok to let a bunch of children gang up on a fellow classmate, when they're all 5/6 years old. Should parents teach their kids to fight back? ABSOLUTLEY. Should an entire class do it? No!

Good luck raising the next prison inmates casseopeia.

Quoting casseopeia:

Momofmenagerie
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Agreed, but it's been made too clear that throwing the defensive second punch is worse than the original punch.

Quoting happinessforyou:

I just wish at least 1 of those kids would have hauled off and slugged that kid without the teacher's involvement! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)